UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2010, 6:35 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default Why do they use mains connectors?

Hi,
Much has been discussed about DAC90A mains connectors and those of other radio & TV sets, and this set me wondering why they were used at all? Were they meant to be some kind of "interlock" to ensure disconnection before removing the back? Considering that cost of production was usually a major factor in building these small sets, surely it would have been cheaper to take the lead straight in (and lessen the possibility of reversed polarity into the bargain). Some sets have detachable leads and others don't, which adds to the mystery .
Cheers, Pete

PS Sorry if this has been done to death already .
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 8:17 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Why do they use mains connectors?

Don't know.....it's an interesting question though. Some manufacturers (Philips was one) designed mains connectors that were part of the back cover so when you removed the back, the mains was disconnected as well. This was purely from the customer viewpoint who wanted to change the odd valve. Service engineers would have had a connector made up so that they could work on the set.

SB
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 11:38 pm   #3
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Is it more common on AC/DC sets?
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 7:46 am   #4
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Also why did the two pin plug vary as in those used on Bush, PYE, Decca and others ,then the odd EKCO two pin (on slim one fat)
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 8:58 am   #5

It may have worked out cheaper because it would be easier to power up on the line and there would be no lead flapping around in production.

Old 3rd Nov 2010, 9:07 am   #6
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

On rented sets there may have been an advantage. If the cable got tugged it would just pull plug from socket rather than pulling conductors out of their terminals, resulting in a repair visit.
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 9:37 am   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
the odd EKCO two pin (on slim one fat
This arrangement was a good idea, less chance of wrong polarity causing the chassis on ac/dc sets becoming live!
Bush should have adopted thi idea.
I would have thought that adding a removable mains lead would add to the production costs,so why it they were fitted is a bit of a mystery?
I have just got a dac 90 that someone has changed the lead to clear bellwire
at the other end was fitted a 'clix' two pin plug!
I prefer a fixed mains lead for this reason.

Mark

Last edited by Dave Moll; 3rd Nov 2010 at 8:04 pm. Reason: quote fixed
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 10:16 am   #8
SeanStevens
Octode

More modern equipment (think of Cassette Players) usually had removable leads - this was, I guess, because they could be battery powered (portable) and the lead could be left at home.

But the DAC90 range was never designed to be portable surely?

Could it be that the lead could be used to power something else? There were very few mains sockets in older houses, could it be that the BUSH people thought you would take the lead out of the radio to power up a record deck or something?

SEAN
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 10:23 am   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

No, as most of these sockets were maker-specific, and other equipment tended to have permanently attached leads.

It is an interesting question!
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 9:56 pm   #10
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Reversible connectors were useful if you had DC mains. These days we look at a transformerless design as just an economy measure but when the DAC90 was introduced there was still a bit of DC mains about and it was a necessity. With a DC supply the chassis has to be negative, regardless of which pole is live (on ordinary 3-wire DC mains half the houses had a positive live and half a negative, relative to the earthed neutral). So you set the voltage tap, plug the set in and if the heaters light up but no sound comes out flip the domino connector over to reverse the polarity.

With a mixture of 2- and 3-pin plugs widely in use and much of the wiring in DC areas remaining from pre-electronic days, there would be no certainty even of knowing which contact in a given socket-outlet was live, let alone whether it was positive or negative. We have become accustomed to ensuring the chassis wire is neutral for safety, as we have this option on AC. But on DC if your live was negative then the chassis definitely had to be live.

Lucien
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 10:33 pm   #11
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi,
Thanks for the interesting info, Lucien, but it doesn't explain the non-reversible connectors found on some Ekco equipments (amongst others). Maybe it was my suggestion that it ensured the supply was removed when the back was taken off.
Cheers, Pete
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 11:45 pm   #12
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Yes I'm sure that was a factor. E.g. the type with the two prongs in a shallow V, had a flange around the outside of the cable socket to ensure it would pull off with the TV back even though it wasn't attached to it. Some manufacturers have gone to even greater lengths to isolate the innards when exposed. E.g. to get a Revox A77 out of its box you first have to remove the mains cable. But once out, even if you plug the cable back into the chassis it will be dead until you bridge the interlock terminals that are normally shorted by pins attached to the back.

On professional / broadcast kit connectors have been the norm, rarely for safety reasons as you can often open the box without disconnecting. But then there would not be the same risk as with a live-chassis TV in a domestic environment. The lack of standardisation until recently nullified some of the advantages of interchangeable / replaceable cables. Going back to the 60's & 70's, the different wiring conventions of EP4 (Marconi / BBC) and the two possible genders of XLR-LNE were amongst the various traps for the unwary.

I wonder how the previous experience of designers influenced their decision whether to include a connector or not? I don't think I have ever made a product with a captive power cable, because of experience of mission-critical devices being put out of action due to damage that could easily have been remedied by the user swapping in a new cable. So if I were going to design a tabletop valve radio, I'd probably put a connector on out of habit, feeling it to be good practice, and argue my case with the bean-counters.

Lucien
Old 4th Nov 2010, 12:41 am   #13
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Interesting question but it's worth remembering that plug in mains leads are just as popular today (if not more so). The answer is, probably, going to be something as simple as ease of packaging etc
Old 4th Nov 2010, 10:32 am   #14
SeanStevens
Octode

Or possibly they had a lot of left-overs. Manufacturers have a habit of 'using up' old stock by putting the same old gear on their newer models to reduce waste.

DAC90 uses this cable I think, so it makes sense if you have ordered 1000's too many of these mains lead ends, to use them up on the 90a.

SEAN
Old 4th Nov 2010, 11:02 am   #15
richrussell
Heptode

I reckon a combination of factors, but not probably assembly and packaging being quite a strong influence. It's certainly a lot easier if you don't have trailing wires if you have any kind of assembly line setup, as they tend to snag on things. Similarly with packaging - it's easier to slot a rectangular box shaped thing into the packaging if you don't have to worry about a bundled up cable dangling out of it.

These days places produce products that may be sold in any number of countries with different mains leads, so it's fairly sensible to just chuck in a UK lead for ones destined for the UK at the time of packing.
Old 4th Nov 2010, 11:20 am   #16
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

As Lucien says, a look at all the original connectors used by manufacturers of AC/DC equipment in particular fitted flanges so the mains had to be disconnected before the back could be removed. EKCO and FERGUSON used the odd sized pins to ensure that the 'polarity' was correct to the chassis. eg the black wire. I would say that at least 80% of homes ran equipment from 2 pin socket outlets so this was not so important.
The 5amp connector that most of us use today is the female half of a flex connector and was not intended to be used as a mains input connector for receivers. Regards, John.
Old 4th Nov 2010, 12:58 pm   #17
brianc
Rest in Peace

The early Pyes, LV20 etc. had another way of disconnecting the mains when the back was removed. They had a fixed mains cable but the back was fitted with two "floating" brass pins which, when the back was in place, completed the mains path (in both "legs"). When the back was removed, the pins came with it and the mains circuit was broken. In order to power the set without the back, pins had to be inserted in the holes in the rear of the chassis - I use 4mm banana plugs!
Old 4th Nov 2010, 1:21 pm   #18
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc View Post
The early Pyes, LV20 etc. had another way of disconnecting the mains when the back was removed.
At least one of the post war mains / battery portables uses exactly the same method. PB129 I think.
Old 4th Nov 2010, 1:55 pm   #19
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
As someone who got the mains lead of a colour TV I was delivering( a fairly new 26" Pye 741 - some things you don't forget) tangled around the car's bumper without my knowledge followed by an almighty CRASH I can only say I'm all in favour!
Also nowadays the appropriate lead for the country can be put in the box by the importer.
Glyn
Old 4th Nov 2010, 7:20 pm   #20
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Another factor might have been the ease with which a longer lead could be fitted. The only mains socket in the room might well have been on the other side from the preferred location of the radio. Many users (and some dealers) would have simply twisted the ends of the existing lead onto those of an extension lead, and wrapped with insulating tape, but a re-wireable connector at least offered the opportunity to fit a longer flex.
Much easier for bench servicing a set too, when the customer's lead could have been fitted with any of a variety of mains plugs.
Closed Thread