UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2018, 6:34 pm   #1
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Aldi Special Buy - Canon IXUS 185 camera

Not sure if this is the right spot, but -

In Aldi yesterday (1/12/18) I noticed one of the 'special buy' items for sale was the Canon IXUS 185 compact camera - obviously these are not this year's model but they are still sold for around £60-£100 or more by other retailers - Aldi price, ~£25, while stocks last of course.

Comes with 1 NB-11 Lithium-Ion battery, separate mains charger and soft 'shell' case for the camera - buyer has to provide a memory card (SD/SDHC).

I already have a couple of the higher end metal bodied IXUS compact series and I've always found them to be good little cameras. While this is not one of the very high end ones, I bought one anyway as my older ones are becoming hard to find batteries for.

Manuals, etc are here:-

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/cons.../ixus_185.aspx
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 7:46 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Aldi Special Buy - Canon IXUS 185 camera

I bought one (full going price) a few years ago. Nice little camera that slips in your pocket. Good optics but the flash isn't up to much and it's best used either outdoors or with a seperate photo flood; I've used it for 'scanning' book pages and diagrams this way using the tripod mount.
The best thing is the battery and charger, very neat and quick.
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 7:52 pm   #3
paulsherwin

You can't argue with the price. The market for compact point and shoot cameras has collapsed because so many smartphones now have good cameras, so these are probably overstocks of last year's model being disposed of. Personally I prefer to use a dedicated camera rather than a phone for anything that matters.
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 7:58 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I've had excellent result with the Ixus compact cameras - the macro facility on most is damn good.
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 2:04 am   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I bought one (full going price) a few years ago.
At this price you would essentially get a genuine spare Canon battery with a free camera and spare charger thrown in. I would imagine the stand-alone price for a genuine Canon NB-11 battery is more.

Haven't really had a chance to take it for a proper test drive yet (terrible weather / bad light) but I played with it for about 20 minutes - I did notice that the 'Macro' (Tulip) symbol is missing from the four way switch on the back but it does have macro, it just works out itself when it needs to use it and autoselects macro mode when the subject is inside macro range.

I did also fear that it might not have any manual modes - My other IXUS cameras have a mode dial switch with 'Auto' and 'Manual' positions and this does not, but it does have a menu selectable 'Program' mode which allows picky people like me to override the camera's choice of exposure, ISO, etc.

I prefer to have separate gadgets which do their one specific task really well, so I still have a separate alarm clock, satnav, computer and, of course, camera.
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 2:20 am   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

I bought one about a year ago in our local Aldi.
The macro appears to be automatic.
You are right about the flash. It is just fixed power and is either too bright or gutless.
It works well with a powerful LED lamp or out doors.
I bought it because the focus had developed a lot of back lash on my old Fuji.
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 2:35 pm   #7
John M0GLN
Octode

Just been to my local Aldi where they are reduced from £79.99 to £59.99, I asked about this and said they were a lot cheaper on line, they were £29.99 just before I went, and was told this was normal as the price varied with stock, got back home and checked on the web and they are now back to £79.99 in store only.

John
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 2:54 pm   #8
paulsherwin

It's possible that there's been a pricing error, though the prices of the limited availability stuff do vary a lot week on week in Aldi and Lidl.
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 3:32 pm   #9
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

!!!? I've just been on the Aldi website and it's true, the in-store price now seems to be £79.99. The branch I bought mine from was the new Skelton (North Yorkshire) branch at TS12 2ZL, and they still had about a dozen priced at £25 (or 24.95, something like that) on Saturday 1/12/18.
Old 4th Dec 2018, 1:49 am   #10
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

For the record, I've just dug out the receipt because I was beginning to wonder if I had read the wrong price tag myself and inadvertently paid £80 for mine, but it turns out I really did pay £24.95 for it.

John, M0GLN, I'm sorry you had a wasted journey on my account. I had no idea the pricing was so 'flexible'.
Old 4th Dec 2018, 7:49 am   #11
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
John, M0GLN, I'm sorry you had a wasted journey on my account. I had no idea the pricing was so 'flexible'.
There's no problem at all, I did look on the Aldi website to read the camera spec' before I went, I saw the price of £29.99 and the fact that they were out of stock online so I wasn't expecting there to be any on the shelves anyway, the shops only about a mile and a half away and I bought some other needed bits and pieces there anyway.

John
Old 4th Dec 2018, 8:19 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I still have my original Ixus 2.1Mb about £300plus at the time and I love it dearly despite I have a EOS5D pro job.
Old 4th Dec 2018, 9:29 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

A lot of these are turning up in charity shops for £10 to £20, and if the battery is OK (or you can buy a cheap generic one that is), then they're a bargain if you need a good compact camera but don't have a smartphone.
Old 4th Dec 2018, 10:30 pm   #14
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

SWMBO actually owned the first metal-bodied IXUS I ever saw, and it was the 'original' digital IXUS which didn't even have a model number, just the name: IXUS. A beautiful, solid, precision-machined little thing. I think she still has it.

Following that I had an IXUS 430 and IXUS 500, and still now use an IXUS 750 built from the best parts of three such cameras. Its predecessor failed when the plastic gear on the focus motor split from the shaft to the outside edge, leaving the camera unable to focus. Annoying.

Nick, I wish I had your luck in charity shops. All I ever see there are old Minolta and Konica film cameras, along with the odd Polaroid instant 'Land' camera, the ones where you had to develop the photo by warming it in your armpit.

Buying a second hand compact digital, you never know whether the CCD sensor and lens gears are going to be full of sand from someone's beach holiday, and the batteries... I would always assume that, if greater than two years old, they will be in decline. I would automatically factor the price of a new, probably third-party battery into any such purchase.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 1:24 am   #15
Refugee
Dekatron

Our local Aldi had them on sale at £59.99 today.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 5:04 pm   #16
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

My Cannon EOS20D which I bought a couple of spare batteries for, still has it s original 14 year old one and holds the charge as when new.
Old 6th Dec 2018, 9:44 am   #17
Radio Wrangler

The idiot in the back of my head has just supplied the image of someone trapped in Aldi's entirely automated head office, making prices jump around in S-O-S Morse patterns trying to get someone to come and rescue them.

David
Old 6th Dec 2018, 2:07 pm   #18
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
My Cannon EOS20D which I bought a couple of spare batteries for, still has it s original 14 year old one and holds the charge as when new.
I have several old gadgets with Li-Ion batteries in that are still working well beyond their expected life, including a small Samsung mobile which I bought in 2009 and, until very recently, was powered on 27/4 and still only needed charging about once a week, still with its original battery. When new, it would go for more than two weeks between charges.

But the established 'doctrine' is that Li-Ion batteries basically start dying from the moment they are manufactured, whether they are used or not. I normally find they keep their as-new performance for about two years, which coincidentally(?) is exactly how long they tend to be warrantied for, and then after that the charge time / running time usually gets gradually shorter and shorter.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 9:32 am   #19
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
I have a similar age 350D and concur.
Closed Thread