UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Apr 2018, 12:45 pm   #1
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Default What can you tell me about my Dansette?

Any info would be much appreciated. Just want to learn more about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14A01909-4A27-4ED5-96D9-8ABB6A6E6350.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	161701   Click image for larger version

Name:	9078A1AA-6ECA-484B-9174-F27246978A49.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	161702   Click image for larger version

Name:	522F3A78-F33E-4771-BE80-C8E8B24F6842.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	161703   Click image for larger version

Name:	F0FADE95-2CAC-4633-A09C-88789956DD38.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	161704   Click image for larger version

Name:	331B73E9-F062-4B8C-82DC-DBB004C5C76C.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	161705  

Old 24th Apr 2018, 12:59 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: What can you tell me about my dansette?

That is in stunning condition, like it's straight out of the carton, lovely. I had a Conquest during the seventies - it was a jumble sale buy - it was the top of the range what with the BSR Monarch turntable and the twin speaker system. I think they dated to around 1957,
Neil
Old 24th Apr 2018, 1:03 pm   #3
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: What can you tell me about my Dansette?

Thank you Neil. I cleaned it up myself. Just want to know more about if it’s stereo or mono. I know it’s not the correct cartridge for this make. Just trying to learn more about dansettes as I think they are great machines.
Old 24th Apr 2018, 1:17 pm   #4
electrogram
Heptode

That's a late model conquest with ECL82 triode/pentode valve amplifier. In earlier Conquests the triode and pentode were two separate valves, 6AT6 (double diode triode, diodes unused), and 6AQ5 pentode. Several models of BSR deck were fitted over its production run. The case remained the same except for the plastic surround for the knobs on later models as your one has.
Old 24th Apr 2018, 1:21 pm   #5
michamoo
Hexode

It has two speakers yes but is not stereo.
Old 24th Apr 2018, 1:35 pm   #6
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you electrigram, any idea what year?
And michamoo I was told the cartridge is a stereo cartridge but does that mean it’s pointless having that cartridge if it does not play stereo? So I should not play my stereo lps?
Old 24th Apr 2018, 1:40 pm   #7
jjl
Octode

The X5H is a stereo compatible mono cartridge i.e. it is OK to play stereo records with this, but the sound you hear will be mono. If the cartridge is working there is no need to replace it.

John
Old 24th Apr 2018, 1:42 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

With the ECL82 two stage amp, that cartridge has a higher output than needed. This isn't bad news, though, X5Hs are ideal for the single stage amp Dansettes and others and are also worth quite a bit if in good order- £35 or so, since they (indeed any high output crystal type) are getting scarce.

One of the generic red'n'black Chinese cartridges could replace it for around a fiver (get one with the top mounting clip) if you have no interest in playing 78s.

There is a capacitor (known here as "that" capacitor, connected between the output of the first stage and input of the second which should be looked at and replaced unless it's already been done or is of a type which doesn't give trouble- its failure could take out some rather more expensive (than 50p for a capacitor) parts! A close up pic of the amplifier (underside if it's a chassis type) would enable informed comment!

Nice player, anyway, one of the better Dansettes, too.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Apr 2018, 1:48 pm   #9
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for clearing that up John. Much appreciated. Thank you Chris for the info. I’m guessing the capacitor is the silver coloured long thing next to the valve? Sorry but I’m new to this.
Old 24th Apr 2018, 2:04 pm   #10
electrogram
Heptode

I think 'that' capacitor in this set is what looks to be a 'Mullard mustard' near to the valve. These are generally thought to be very reliable. As to year of manufacture, 1964/5 ?
Old 24th Apr 2018, 2:13 pm   #11
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you electrogram. Just googled Mullard mustard and seen what you’re talking about right next to valve. Chris I’ll try stick a pic up later. Thank you
Old 24th Apr 2018, 2:14 pm   #12
ms660
Dekatron

It could be a later version, the amplifier looks like a cross between a "D/T" and a "Monarch" looking at some of those resistor values (colour codes)....?

Lawrence.
Old 24th Apr 2018, 2:23 pm   #13
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you Lawrence.
Old 24th Apr 2018, 2:24 pm   #14
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

So can this player play stereo sound? What would I need to do to it for it to play stereo sound ?
Old 24th Apr 2018, 2:29 pm   #15
Techman
Dekatron

From the deck it looks to be from around 1964 as has already been said, but you may be able to date the deck more accurately from this thread:-
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=42473

There's also another thread on the Garrard decks in the same section which is 'Vintage Audio etc.' Also, you should have posted this thread in that section as this is the 'Vintage Radio' section and your Dansette is NOT a radio!

As said, it looks like the important grid coupling capacitor is a Mullard mustard type, so should be Ok to leave in place, so if the player is working as it is, then there may not be any need to do anything to it other than a general check over and service of the mechanics etc.
Old 24th Apr 2018, 2:34 pm   #16
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you techman. Thanks for info and links. Yes should have posted it in correct section!!!
New to this so still learning about the dansette and the site. Thanks again
Old 24th Apr 2018, 2:37 pm   #17
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
With the ECL82 two stage amp, that cartridge has a higher output than needed. This isn't bad news, though, X5Hs are ideal for the single stage amp Dansettes and others and are also worth quite a bit if in good order- £35 or so, since they (indeed any high output crystal type) are getting scarce.

One of the generic red'n'black Chinese cartridges could replace it for around a fiver (get one with the top mounting clip) if you have no interest in playing 78s.

There is a capacitor (known here as "that" capacitor, connected between the output of the first stage and input of the second which should be looked at and replaced unless it's already been done or is of a type which doesn't give trouble- its failure could take out some rather more expensive (than 50p for a capacitor) parts! A close up pic of the amplifier (underside if it's a chassis type) would enable informed comment!

Nice player, anyway, one of the better Dansettes, too.
Hey Chris so if I did put a stereo cartridge onto it would I get stereo sound?
Old 24th Apr 2018, 2:43 pm   #18
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermal View Post
So can this player play stereo sound? What would I need to do to it for it to play stereo sound ?
Not as it stands but:

The easiest way would be to fit a stereo cartridge and output that to a suitable external stereo amplifier and loudspeakers.

The more authentic way would be to fit a stereo cartridge and output one channel to a purpose built amplifier/loudspeaker arrangement that's the same or similar to the one already fitted in your player.

Lawrence.
Old 24th Apr 2018, 2:48 pm   #19
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Ok thanks guys. I’m guessing I’ll leave it alone. I have the BSR X5h cartridge and a st10/lps stylus. It sounds fine. I think mono sounds more authentic. Am I getting this right that the st8/9/10 lps stylus allows me to play my 80s vinyl without damaging them but just does not give stereo sound?
Old 24th Apr 2018, 3:12 pm   #20
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes. The BSR X5H cartridge in your player is what's called a stereo-compatible cartridge which means it can safely play stereo records without damaging them - but the sound you hear will be in Mono. As advised, this is actually not the correct cartrige for your player as it will have a tendency to overload the amplifier and possibly cause distortion. It is worth quite a bit of money in its own right as these are very rare now. Your player was made in 1963/early 1964. It is a fairly late verision of the original Conquest. These are now selling for quite high prices now.