UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2018, 10:15 pm   #1
ronbryan
Octode

Default AVO test leads - original instrument

I have obtained an AVO 8 Mk III dated 1965 which had the pictured AVO marked test leads included in the carrying case.

Does anyone recognise which AVO instrument that they would have been originally fitted to? The leads are rated at 7A and 500V AC/DC maximum according to the label. They are quite flexible and light compared to standard AVO 8 test leads and may originally have had test prods as well as the uninsulated croc clips that are fitted to my example.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVO-leads_web.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	161600  
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 10:44 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: AVO test leads - original instrument

What's the red block about; do they have a fuse or is it just to keep the leads together?
I have a pair of leads very similar, but without the siamesing block. I would say mine are most likely mid '70s to early '80s.

I am wondering if they might have been supplied with the avo 70 series. They look compact enough to fit the box.
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 11:02 pm   #3
ronbryan
Octode

I think the red block is to keep the leads together. It has some Araldite spread over one of the pins holding the two halves together, so may have been opened to make a repair.

Ron
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 12:11 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

I'm not sure whether that system makes them tangle prone or tangle resistant..

I would certainly be interested in them if they become STR.

Dave
Closed Thread