UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2018, 4:57 pm   #21
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: A reminder to.....

It's amazing just how dim people can be.

I've bubble wrapped hifi before. I wrap the unit with the lead outside of the wrap, then the plug gets wrapped with the lead and placed on top.

I've even had AVO's in the post with the buckles of the case straps and probe plugs all nicely laying over the glass scale!
Old 11th Apr 2018, 6:17 pm   #22
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

A few days ago I ordered a Himalayan salt lamp online. It got here two days later, the packing was soaking wet with a corner tore off and when I opened it the base was smashed in half and the bulb was missing.

OK so I have claimed off the seller as it arrived here damaged but to be fair he had wrapped the lamp in several layers of bubble wrap firmly taped up so I am at a loss as to what Hermes did to get the parcel in such a mess. I certainly wouldn't use them to deliver anything for me.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 7:28 pm   #23
camtechman
Nonode

It's obvious that some senders have no idea how parcels are handled, especially those where the sender writes: FRAGILE HANDLE WITH CARE!....that's akin to a "Red Flag To A Bull"

Not related to vintage radios but some time back, you could get sticky labels for sending/receiving photos and they said: PHOTOS - DO NOT BEND !.

Whether is was the postman who wrote it but some arrived with this comment written below the warning label: "OH YES THEY DO" !!
Old 11th Apr 2018, 8:44 pm   #24
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post

OK so I have claimed off the seller as it arrived here damaged but to be fair he had wrapped the lamp in several layers of bubble wrap firmly taped up so I am at a loss as to what Hermes did to get the parcel in such a mess. I certainly wouldn't use them to deliver anything for me.
UPS I won't use anymore. I've had packages by UPS thrown over the gate or left by the garage, with no note through the door. I found those parcels many days later, in bad weather, when going to the garage or the back garden. I'd had no idea that they were there.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 10:33 pm   #25
JohnBHanson
Heptode

I have been in my flat, and I have had parcels left outside in the hallway despite being in. I am 100% sure the doorbell did not ring and I was waiting in for the parcel. Only to open the door in the evening and discover it propped up by the door. What was more surprising is that when I checked the tracking code It claimed I had signed for it, and there was a scribble that was a signature - totally unreadable and not mine!
Old 12th Apr 2018, 12:20 am   #26
ben
Dekatron

As has been said, this is a combination of unfortunate factors. First is the awkward bulky nature of the UK mains plugs. They're probably the most oversized standard in the world I'd say. Apart from doing you serious harm if you stand on one upturned - could be used in warfare maybe! - they are excellent at piercing and scratching whatever is next to them.

Then you have many people with the inability to pack stuff half decently. I have been amazed at how kit like tape machines have somehow got to me unscathed after, as in one recent case, being placed in a thin cardboard box and a plastic bag. Add a mains plug to shoddy packaging and you are asking for trouble.

Finally there's the couriers who chuck stuff around, leave it out in the rain, etc etc. In my experience they can never be bothered to knock. It's a miracle the kit gets there at all - if it doesn't get wrecked in the journey it could get rained on or stolen only inches from your door!

Good tip to get senders to dispose of the plugs. I hadn't imagined that there's a chance they'd cut it off only to sling it into the box! Takes all sorts, so better safe than sorry.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 12:20 pm   #27
AC/HL
Dekatron

Somewhere, in an earlier thread, someone commented on how little the courier gets per parcel. That should give a clue as to why they're not treated with kid gloves, probably never were in the past either.

No-one, on here at least, should be surprised at this as it has been explored in depth in multiple threads, but the reminder is welcome nevertheless.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 3:34 pm   #28
MrBungle
Dekatron

A bit of advice when asking for plug to be removed. Make sure you explicitly ask them to cut the plug off at the plug end, not the device end. I made the mistake of not specifying that and found that the captive lead had been cut off entirely at the unit resulting in rework required.

Random good experience: I ordered a 1L bottle of premixed ferric chloride a few months back and it turned up chucked in a jiffy bag. That survived surprisingly!
Old 12th Apr 2018, 4:48 pm   #29
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Random good experience: I ordered a 1L bottle of premixed ferric chloride a few months back and it turned up chucked in a jiffy bag. That survived surprisingly!
I had a bottle of hydrochloric acid delivered safely, which had simply had tape wound round the lid and the bottle wrapped in paper

Mains plugs have always travelled OK for me with the pins embedded in expanded polystyrene, and the plug placed outside the primary packaging of the equipment.
The manufacturers who provide slots for the plug pins in the back panel of gear have the right idea.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 7:45 pm   #30
Refugee
Dekatron

It is also worth saving pin guards from cheap new appliances. They might help some times.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 2:52 pm   #31
richrussell
Heptode

When I worked at a company that built and repaired home PCs, we always said 'keep the packaging in case you want to sent it back for repair or upgrade'. Those that did arrived in perfect condition. Those chucked in any old cardboard box with a bit of bubblewrap invariably had dents or loose components inside.

However the one that just had the Parcelforce label stuck to the side of the case did in fact arrive unscathed, albeit with bits of fluff and cardboard dust in the floppy drive
Old 13th Apr 2018, 5:08 pm   #32
Reelman
Octode

I’ve had many parcels delivered that were badly packed. I have a little sympathy for the sender since to pack a heavy but delicate item properly requires a fair amount of time and materials. Strong boxes are not often to be found behind the checkouts at the local supermarket!
I can certainly vouch for keeping the original packing materials; I had a huge and heavy Grundig tape recorder arrive in its original box and packing from 50 years ago - it was fine.

I do miss the wooden packing crates that were common years ago, I made and sold a pair of floor standing ‘speakers out of two old Olivetti ones.

Peter
Old 16th Apr 2018, 9:58 pm   #33
PaulR
Dekatron

I once received a 78 rpm record packed in a jiffy bag with no other protection. Needless to say it arrived in several pieces. When I told the sender she seemed surprised.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 6:06 pm   #34
avocollector
Heptode

I've been lucky to date and everything with a mains plug has been wrapped well enough to survive the couriers intact - however actually finding it sometimes (I have 123 steps to my house down from the main road) can be a hoot. A fair number do actually bring items down to the front door, others leave it at various sites ranging from under the garage (which is up by the road), halfway down the steps, and at the top step by the road of course. The odd thing has even ended up in even more exotic locations - one was parked outside the door of one of my sheds which is about 40 feet away from the house and really not obvious - plus you have to walk past the house to get to the shed. To give them their due though I've only ever lost about 2 items out of several hundred.
Closed Thread