UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2018, 10:39 pm   #1
OldTechFan96
Octode

Default TEAC CX-270 Crackly Left Channel Repair

At the end of last year I bought a TEAC CX-270 cassette deck from about 1980-1981.

After a good clean, including the tape transport and heads (which are in perfect condition), I powered the deck up and started to play Michael Jackson's 'Thriller'. After about 10 minutes of playback the left channel started to intermittently pop and crackle.

I duff transistor I thought, but where?

I suspected one of the two transistors near the output jacks (Q104). These are 2SC945 transistors. Instead of randomly changing components I thought that I should wait until I bought an oscilloscope. Into the 'to do' pile it went.

After coming to grips with my Hameg HM203 oscilloscope in early January I thought that It was time to sort the TEAC deck.

I waited until the crackling started before I started probing the suspect transistor. When probing the transistor I could see the crackles on the oscilloscope's display. The audio waveform was fine before the transistor and distorted after it. Since I was sure that Q104 was defective I ordered a packet of 2SC945 transistors.

Once the transistor was replaced the deck worked perfectly and I have had no trouble with it. Sorted!

The only problem is that I don't have many cassettes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0698.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	156724  
Old 5th Feb 2018, 2:18 pm   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: TEAC CX-270 Crackly Left Channel Repair

Thanks for posting the outcome (one for my memory bank)
Old 5th Feb 2018, 3:32 pm   #3
OldTechFan96
Octode

Default Re: TEAC CX-270 Crackly Left Channel Repair

I forgot to mention that the original belt turned into goo. From what was left I was able to work out what size replacement belt was needed.

The replacement I ordered was 88mm in diameter, flat section.
Closed Thread