UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2016, 11:18 pm   #1
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Pre PMR ICOM handheld IC-F4SR

Not sure whether this is a topic to discuss here so please tell me if not.

I have a pair of Icom IC-F4SR radios. If they were UK spec I think they would be the defunct SRBR, but they seem to be French band 466MHz so certainly not usable in the UK.

So does anyone know if and how I could convert or get them converted to PMR446? They did do a PMR version for a while back in the day so I hold out some hope. They just seem like a much more robust radio than some of the other toy PMR sets I have that I don't want to simply bin them, and although they would work as a pair I don't want to use them on a frequency I shouldn't.
Old 18th Feb 2016, 12:06 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Pre PMR ICOM handheld IC-F4SR

The 'features' on these radios [frequency-range, channel-steps, power output etc] are set using a special connecting lead (Icom stereo plug one end, 9/25-pin RS232 serial- or USB-port connector the other) and a piece of software that runs on a PC.

Complete manual here: http://www.icomuk.co.uk/files/icom/P...al/F4SR_um.pdf

Cable/interface here: http://www.directdirt.com/2015/04/di...g-cable-clone/

Where you get the software from I can't help you with, alas.
Old 18th Feb 2016, 12:33 pm   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Unlikely they will comply with specs for PMR446 so respectfully suggest forum should not be assisting in this. sorry.
Old 18th Feb 2016, 7:18 pm   #4
duncanlowe
Nonode

OK understood. I only asked assuming that any change would put within specs, since a PMR version was available.
Old 18th Feb 2016, 7:41 pm   #5

You may find that the software can programme them to be compliant. PMR446 is useful with a couple of good radios (like the Icoms), the 1/2 a watt allowed should give a mile or so in urban environments.

Old 18th Feb 2016, 7:47 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

If it was - when in some versions when appropriately programmed - PMR446-approved then I don't see any reason why reprogramming your radio to the official PMR446 channel-spacing and power-levels would not be acceptable.

I have a number of "PMR446" approved Alinco DJ-446 radios here: these are sold in other markets with different frequency-settings and full 5-watt TX capability enabled. A couple of mine have - legally - found their way onto the amateur 70cm allocation where they work quite well.
Old 19th Feb 2016, 8:41 pm   #7
duncanlowe
Nonode

Apparently it was quite a common thing and dealers and Icom themselves regularly did this. So I may see if I can get a dealer to do mine, then I know its legit.
Old 20th Feb 2016, 11:01 am   #8
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Hope you're lucky and it can handle the 6.25kHz channel offset. Later sets should be OK with that but earlier sets like the Philips PFX could not hit the channels.
I'm not sure if it wouldn't involve narrower IF filters in the RX too. Icom will know this.
Cheers
Old 26th Feb 2016, 8:24 pm   #9
duncanlowe
Nonode

It seems they can. Having done some investigating the radios I have only actually work together on one channel. I used a known PMR 446 (Motorola Talkabout) as transmitter (so I did't transmit on the unknown ones) and one of the pair receives OK albeit the channel number is offset by one. The other only receives on one channel. So no idea why this 'pair' isn't a pair.

The proper PMR446 F4SRs aren't that expensive so have bought a pair of them. It would still be nice to get the others moved to be useful rather than landfill. Hard to justify though when I can't even find an Icom dealer to do the job and a pair of good ones cost £40.
Old 9th Apr 2016, 1:10 pm   #10
duncanlowe
Nonode

Just in case its useful to anyone, Icom themselves will do the reprogramming for you. I never found a dealer that would, but one suggested Icom themselves who were happy to do it for a fee of course. So that saved two nice working radios being landfilled.
Closed Thread