UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2016, 12:48 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Gakken CQ-3 Walkie talkies

Slightly non serious vintage communications I know but... I came across these at a car boot last week, all in very good condition boxed with instructions. I'm guessing these are from the 70s looking at the style and the box itself.

The only reference I can find for these walkie talkies is on a well know Japanese auction site which I tried to translate without too much success. I'm a collector of all things two way radio/CB etc so am quite pleased with them as they even work.
Has anyone ever seen these radios?
Old 8th Apr 2016, 2:56 pm   #2
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Gakken CQ-3 Walkie talkies

I have a fascination with old walkie-talkies and if ever I see a pair in use in an old film or TV show I have to jump on the web and look them up! I must say I don't know the Gakken ones.
In the mid-60's I had a pair of Lancer RT-33's which needless to say went the way of all things. But by chance a couple of years ago, I came across a boxed pair at my local junk shop. I had to have them and they are in almost perfect condition and they work.
They are on 27 MHz and use very simple circuitry. Range is about 400 yards with the wind behind them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lancer RT33.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	122500  
Old 8th Apr 2016, 3:00 pm   #3
electronicskip
Nonode

Am or FM andy ? do you know?
Old 8th Apr 2016, 3:23 pm   #4

Quote:
Am or FM
As they are probably super-regen radios it really doesn't matter!

Old 8th Apr 2016, 5:04 pm   #5
Andrew2
Nonode

They were AM. There were 3 transistors in the cct, one as a 'power' (30mW) xtal oscillator and the other two as mic amp/modulator.
On receive it was a simple super-regen as Merlin says.
Old 8th Apr 2016, 5:47 pm   #6
G4XWDJim
Octode

See my FOC add in offered.

Jim
Old 8th Apr 2016, 6:10 pm   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

These will be 27Mhz (almost certainly 27.125Mhz AM). By a strange turn of events both that frequency and that mode on that frequency are now legal to use in the UK, but unfortunately not using these radios which were never type approved.

The transmitter will be a single crystal controlled oscillator. The receiver will be the same transistor operated as a free running superregen receiver. The other transistors usually form the audio amplifier / modulator.

A pair of radios similar to this gave a very young me my first experience of two way radios which weren't tied together with wire or worse still, plastic tubing. It's fair to say that they sparked the beginning of my lifelong interest in two way radio.
Old 8th Apr 2016, 6:55 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Though not-legal-for-UK-use either now or then, as a kid in the late-1960s I played with various versions of these, and similar versions that operated around 49MHz.

When the solar-flux was high, using the telescopic whip antennas I clearly resolved American 27MHz CB operators which goes to show what can be achieved with simple "rushbox" superregen receivers.
Old 9th Apr 2016, 12:09 pm   #9
camtechman
Nonode

I have a passion for collecting true "Walkie Talkies" of Japanese manufacture (mainly '60's circa) as well as intercoms, toy phones that masquerade as 'Walkie Talkies'.

I recently acquired a pair of Gakken CQ5's (made in Japan) but of 1984 date. One handset even has an additional built in AM radio (very simple), similar to the Ferranti ZN414 device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gakken CQ5 #1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	122562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gakken CQ5 #2.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	122563  
Old 9th Apr 2016, 12:50 pm   #10
electronicskip
Nonode

When i was trying to research the CQ-3 set I did come across the CQ-5s, nice little set too.
Back in the day I remember the market was awash with Walkie talkies from so many different manufacturers.

We used to sell a few sets at Rumbelows too if memory serves, just before the CB Radio craze took over.
Closed Thread