UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2006, 5:24 pm   #1
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default NVCF and 30th Anniversary

Hi All.

I am still ill following my stroke and cannot be with you for the NVCF or the BVWS 30th Anniversary. I feel sad, but it cannot be avoided.

I hope you all have a good time!

Cheers,

Steve Pendlebury
Old 5th May 2006, 5:41 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: NVCF and 30th Anniversary

Steve

All best wishes to you for a speedy recovery. Hope to see you again at a future BVWS event.
Old 6th May 2006, 4:39 pm   #3
Aub
Nonode

Steve,
I don't know you, but I feel like we're a family of sorts on this forum, so all the best for a speedy recovery.

Aub
Old 6th May 2006, 6:54 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I'm sorry you can't make it, Steve. I hope you are fit and well for the next one.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 6th May 2006, 11:06 pm   #5
Top Cap
Octode

Sorry to hear that Steve, if it's any consolation, my brother is ill and therefor cannot take me and my mate to NVCF. Although we both can drive as well, our medical conditions prevent us from driving any long distance, basically we would not be able to walk if we tried and I doubt if either of us could manage the journey back. So we checked with the rail companies and have been quoted £180 for return tickets from Watford. This is way out of our budget and so it is with great regret we will have to give NVCF a miss as well. To those who will be going, I hope it is a great day for you all. Cheers for now, Les
Old 7th May 2006, 12:37 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

I've not seen this until now, but I wish to comment on it!

Cost of Train - Well what do you expect in Labour's Britain. Trains get worse and tracks fail but we pay more to the Shareholders...

Now the serious bit. There are plenty people going from London and surely someone could have picked you up if you'ld posted sooner. I come from Bolton but even I would have driven down to Watford if needed! Maybe this is something the Committee should think about for future events?

Cheers,

Steve P

Last edited by Steve_P; 7th May 2006 at 12:43 pm.
Old 7th May 2006, 3:26 pm   #7
Top Cap
Octode

Hi Steve, Yes I agree, what with the wonderful people we have on this Forum both my mate and I had no doubts that we would have been offered alternative means to get to the NVCF had we posted earlier. Trouble is we did not know of my brothers illness until late Saturday afternoon after I had been to the hole in the wall for some cash to buy some components. Hope to make the next one though. Les G4CNH
Old 7th May 2006, 8:41 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P
Maybe this is something the Committee should think about for future events?
It's not the committee's job to help people organise their individual transport arrangements to/from the event. Organising the event itself was a LOT of work for the core team who did that, and the last thing they needed was details that only affect a couple of people. A shuttle bus was available for those wanting to travel by train (and was also used for partners and parents going shopping), but that's the limit of what the committee can reasonably do.

As Jeffrey Borinsky suggested to me today, what we need to do is start a thread here about a fortnight before the event so those who need lifts or need items transported can post and hopefully others can offer to help.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 8th May 2006, 7:41 am   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Steve
Stick with it - you will get there! (bin there dun that). Pop over and see us sometime.

Paul
Jeffrey's idea is a excellent one - as was seen with the two threads started (items to take/bring and spare seats). BTW, nice to put a face to the name!
Old 8th May 2006, 2:08 pm   #10
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cap
Sorry to hear that Steve, if it's any consolation, my brother is ill and therefor cannot take me and my mate to NVCF. Although we both can drive as well, our medical conditions prevent us from driving any long distance, basically we would not be able to walk if we tried and I doubt if either of us could manage the journey back. So we checked with the rail companies and have been quoted £180 for return tickets from Watford. This is way out of our budget and so it is with great regret we will have to give NVCF a miss as well. To those who will be going, I hope it is a great day for you all. Cheers for now, Les
Oh dear. Too late now, but for any future events be very careful when enquiring about rail fares. It seems, Les, you were quoted for something like an 'Open return'. You could have bought a 'Saver return' from Watford Junction to Leamington Spa (with one change, at Coventry) for just £31 per person. Different fares sometimes apply according to route, such as going via London where tube fares are added on - so you need to be very specific when enquiring.

Why these blunders and misquotes occur is not relevant for discussion in these forums but when planning travel to any events such as that held yesterday I would recommend checking/booking rail times and fares at http://www.thetrainline.com ....... a site I make frequent use of and one which is far more dependable than some numpty on the end of a phone line.
Closed Thread