UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2012, 9:51 pm   #1
Bassette
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush VHF61, my first restoration attempt.

I am awaiting delivery of a Bush VHF 61 - this will be my first radio that I shall attempt to restore. Would you guys give me a list of what you would certainly be changing in this old set regardless of whether it was working or not? Your advice would be helpful to set me in a direction to not necessarily, make things work but basic good practice to replace on this model.
Old 21st Jan 2012, 10:50 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Bush VHF61, my first restoration attempt.

IIRC these contain quite a few Hunts 'Moldseal' capacitors (the ones with brown 'cases'), all of which, IMHO, should be replaced, along with any 'waxies' if present. In particular 'that' capacitor (often mentioned in this forum) MUST be replaced. I, personally, also replace the main reservoir and smoothing capacitors in any equipment of this vintage.

Another one to change is the electrolytic in the FM discriminator circuit. This is connected with its +ve terminal to chassis, and has a value of 2 or 4uF (use a 4.7uF). In all cases, the working voltage of the replacements should be equal to, or greater than, that of the originals.
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 1:43 am   #3
Glowing Bits!
Octode

One that's worth mentioning is, if there are any plastic 'moldseal' or 'supamold' capacitors anywhere in sight, change them, whether they work or not!
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 9:49 am   #4
stitch1
Heptode

If you do change all the 'potentially bad' caps then please do them one at a time and check the radio afer each change. And only do this after completing safety checks and changing 'that cap'.

Better still download the trader sheet and follow a guide like Paul's http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...ion/index.html

Also check out the book in the sticky above.

By changing the caps one at a time and following the Trader sheet you will learn what they do and hopefully see performance improve as you go. It will also make fault finding easier if you come accross a problem.
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 9:57 am   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

I would not be in a hurry to replace the smoother/reservoir cap, these are usually fine in most sets after reforming, but all those nasty mouldseal caps have to go.

Mark
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 10:08 am   #6
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Good sets these, I'm after one too, I already have the AC/DC version VHF71 and a cracking set it is too, I would agree with Mark and I wouldn't change the main resevoir and smoother unless it is showing signs of stress, keep an eye on it when the set is powered and change it if there is any sign of it oozing, hissing or getting warm to the touch.

Cheers
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 2:20 pm   #7
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Agreed. I'd change the AF Coupling cap, ie THAT one, on sight. After that you should be OK to test it and see what's what.

Other wax or Hunt's capacitors may seem OK but you can bet that they're on their last legs and if you do leave any alone they'll fail as soon as you've put it all back together!

Running it through a lamp at first is a good idea and if this starts to glow brightly there's something wrong so switch off quick. See http://www.vintage-radio.com/projects/lamp-limiter.html

- Joe
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 11:05 pm   #8
Bassette
Retired Dormant Member

I do so appreciate your advice and I thank you for giving me a starter for ten.
I have already built a lamp tester as explained in Tony Thompson's book.
Expecting the delivery of the radio tomorrow - will continue to pick your brains as I go further into what goes on behind that back panel.

Truly thankful,
Terry
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 11:05 pm   #9
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

By all means, after all, that is one of the main points of this forum..... To give help

Cheers
Old 24th Jan 2012, 10:13 am   #10
Bassette
Retired Dormant Member

Having waited 4 days for my purchase to arrive, I was sadly disappointed to open the parcel to find the radio smashed to pieces, despite it having large labels saying fragile and being very well packed. I picked over the remains of the Bakelite cabinet to reveal the inner sanctorum of what lays before me to try to understand. It has been a learning curve.

1 Always collect your own purchase from the seller.

2 My previous aspirations of stripping everything down to the chassis and start over has gone out the window (smile).

My workbench has the workings of the Bush VHF 61 sitting upon it - it smiles back and tempts me to start the cleaning process first. More than that my brain is to say the least a little baffled.
I nearly gave up when I saw the sad mess but I am supported by having this thread to ask questions bit by bit (please excuse the pun)
Old 24th Jan 2012, 3:39 pm   #11
Station X

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but let's not have any discussions or pointless rants about eBay sellers or parcel carriers. They just deflect attention from the important task of restoring the radio.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th Jan 2012, 4:03 pm   #12
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Bakelite repairs quite well and at least you can now relax a bit and not worry about devaluing it.

As Graham says the thing to do is concentrate on the chassis as you can still learn a lot from it.

- Joe
Old 24th Jan 2012, 4:15 pm   #13
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassette View Post
1 Always collect your own purchase from the seller.
Excellent advice, I'm afraid. IMHO no matter how well they're packaged, bakelite radios are just too fragile to be posted. Can it be glued back together and painted?
Quote:
2 My previous aspirations of stripping everything down to the chassis and start over has gone out the window (smile).
I would strong advise against any thoughts of stripping down a VHF radio, of this vintage, to its component parts and rebuilding... It's just too complicated!

David
Old 24th Jan 2012, 5:01 pm   #14
stitch1
Heptode

Never mind these things happen sometimes.

As Joe says nothing to loose now so you can use this as a chassis to learn on, even if it works they'll be a few caps to change, mains to rewire etc and hopefully a simple fault or two to find.

Follow Paul's guide or a book and have a go, why not? And there's plenty on here willing to help.

And if you get it going you will probably find a new cabinet one day.

Enjoy!
Old 24th Jan 2012, 5:05 pm   #15
Bassette
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all for again your advice.
Yes, you are right I can relax now - I have been cleaning up everywhere, taken out the valves and numbered them on my draft notes.
Thoroughly enjoying the challenge and not, as is my afternoon habit of falling asleep in the arm chair

I know this will be a very basic question - the square metal things standing up like soldiers are they Valves? Do they lift out like the glass tubes?

The chassis looks really bright and clean, the insulation seems very good over the wires.
Old 24th Jan 2012, 6:48 pm   #16
westcliff
Hexode

The square metal things contain finely-adjusted and fairly delicate coils. It's best to leave them alone and not try to undo any screws you might see sticking out of them. They are set at the factory and hopefully shouldn't require adjustment.

Good luck with your project.

Gus.
Old 24th Jan 2012, 8:16 pm   #17
Bassette
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for this Gus, I was relieved to know that; because it is an area of the Chassis that I can now ignore apart from blowing off the dust.

Gee what a interesting day
Old 25th Jan 2012, 4:07 pm   #18
Bassette
Retired Dormant Member

I have cleaned and replaced every thing that was loose, the Chassis is shining and the overall appearance is astonishingly looking like new.

I tried out my home made lamp tester, the bulb did not light at all but the valves glowed. I took from this that the radio did not have any short circuits ? So I gave it full power.

MW and LW came through but not a sound from the VHF. a friend suggests that this may be due to the first valve V1, ECC 85, because this one is not showing much glow compared to the others?

When the bare chassis suddenly sprang to life on the bench, supported by my temporary hook ups because I have no case or dial glass - it was like giving birth!
Terry
Old 25th Jan 2012, 8:08 pm   #19
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Good news indeed.

The ECC85 is indeed prime suspect but it could be other things, not least capacitors.

The next thing to do is change THAT capacitor. This is correctly called the AF coupling capacitor and joins the anode of the EABC80 to the grid of the EL84 - top of the EABC80 to the side of the EL84 on the diagram.

This will almost certainly be leaking (electrically if not physically) and if you operate the set for long are putting the EL84 and output transformer at grave risk.

When you've changed that check the voltage on pin 2 of the EL84, hopefully there won't be one!

It would be as well if you told us which service data you are using as different ones use different numbers.

Keep up the good work

Joe
Old 25th Jan 2012, 8:56 pm   #20
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
a friend suggests that this may be due to the first valve V1 --- ECC 85 because this one is not showing much glow compared to the others?
He may be right about the ECC85 but not for the reason he gave. Valves do not 'go dim' when they fail unless you crack one and then it won't light up at all! The heaters are probably fine but just not as visible.

More likely it's just low emission...worn out. However don't forget you need an aerial for VHF, preferably a proper dipole but you should be able to receive something with just a piece of wire about two feet long if everything is OK. If not then try a new ECC85

Rich.