UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2015, 12:47 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default 1N4007 x4 or Bridge rec ?

I have finally got round to looking at my Hacker mayflower RV14. The old Westinghouse FC124 rectifier has been removed and replaced with 4x 1N4007 and a resistor all very untidy and I intend tidying it up. 4x 1n4007 + resistor seems standard practice in this set.
1N4007 are quoted as 1A 1000v would a 2.5A 800v Bridge rec KBF-08 be ok? The sets HT is 275v max
I am aware of Mark Mhennessy great idea of hiding diodes and resistor in the old case, but as I have said original is long gone.

TFL John.
Old 10th Oct 2015, 1:29 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: 1n4007 x4 or Bridge rec ?

That bridge will be fine. Max typical reverse voltage in a bridge diode is only peak ac in +/- a bit down to differing reverse leakage currents and even absolute worst case no more than 2Vpk.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th Oct 2015, 1:53 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: 1n4007 x4 or Bridge rec ?

Thank you Chris, I will get it put in.

John.
Old 10th Oct 2015, 5:44 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: 1N4007 x4 or Bridge rec ?

The worst situation for a rectifier diode is actually a half-wave rectifier with capacitive smoothing. At the depth of the "trough", the capacitor connected to the cathode will be charged to the positive AC peak voltage; while the end of the transformer connected to the anode will be at minus that voltage. Thus imposing a reverse bias of twice the peak mains voltage (= 2 * RMS * sqrt(2); call it 3* the RMS voltage for the sake of round figures) across the rectifier.

A bridge rectifier constructed with 800V diodes will be absolutely fine, because the two reversed-biased diodes are in series and the PIVs add up.