UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2010, 2:51 pm   #1
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Goblin bedroom appliances.

Encouraged by comments in the Pifco thread, I'm posting images of my two Goblin bedside gadgets.

The first is a Teasmade model D26. This is the cheaper version without the luxury of a teapot and tray. It's in full working order although it rarely boils-up and is used normally only as a clock and lamp.

I've had it donkey's years and the clock's now been running continuously for a very long time. I recall having to completely rewire it upon acquisition and it was quite a fiddly job IIRC.

At the other side of the bed sits another Goblin product, but no model number is displayed on it. As can be seen, it's an alarm clock with lamp and ashtray. The ashtray is in fact the control knob, being connected to a wafer switch. Turn fully anticlockwise and it's in clock-only mode. Turn one position clockwise and the alarm is primed (alarm setting controls are on rear of clock, as per the norm). Turn two positions clockwise and the lamp is switched on.

Like the D26, this has also been running continuously for a very long time but I rarely use the alarm and lamp features. If, however, you set the alarm and wish to have the lamp illuminated, you have to remember to turn the ashtray only one position anticlockwise when you wish to turn the lamp off. Otherwise you oversleep in the morning!

This item is all-metal and also needed a full rewire when I got it. The D26 has a metal base and Urea encasement for the clock.

The tatty shades are modern, ex charity shop I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goblin D26.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	39083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goblin clock-lamp.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	39084  
Old 8th Aug 2010, 9:37 pm   #2
Mr Moose
Octode

Default Re: Goblin bedroom appliances.

Hello,
Here is a section from a catalogue from 1963 shewing your Teasmade. It says that the lampshade is not included so you could fit whatever you wanted.
Yours, Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGcrop.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	39098  
Old 9th Aug 2010, 10:24 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Our D25 wakes us up with a cup of coffee every morning, and has done for years.
This might be of use if you are overhauling the clock (it's also used in the Goblin clock radio).

The Home page shows a D25 like ours.
Old 9th Aug 2010, 1:27 pm   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Interestingly that catalogue reference shows the continuation of a debased deco styling lasting into the 1960s
Old 9th Aug 2010, 6:53 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This is my Goblin Teasmade that I pulled off the tip around 20 years ago. I overhauled it and it works very well. The alarm buzzer must have been the cause of many unexplained deaths of the elderly between 7am and 8.30..It's HORRENDOUS! and I have no doubt it could have woken the time expired.

It also sounds like a steam traction engine about to explode as the boiling water is shot into the pot! The model without the tea pot is definitely a hazard and I remember my mates dad getting a little scalded back in 1962 when the pot was not in place or out of line. All the same a clever bit of kit very popular in the 40's and 50's. J

ohn.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Teasmade.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	39125  
Old 9th Aug 2010, 10:56 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

The outlet pipe from the kettle of the teapotless D26 is about 6" from ground level, as it were. On the odd occasions I've used mine, I found the trick is to use a coffee pot as these are usually taller than teapots. The pipe can therefore go over the rim of and inside the coffee pot, thus eliminating any risk of the hot water missing its target.

Another thing you have to remember with the D26 is to ensure the teapot/coffee pot has adequate capacity, this not being a problem with the other units which came with a teapot of course.

In reality, however, teapot capacity isn't too much of a problem because, on my D26 at least, the kettle lifts and thus cuts out the element when it's still around one-quarter full. So although it's hardly rocket science, a bit of apprehensive trial and error is required before going to sleep for the first time with the D26 grinning at you from the bedside.

I have cats and they're allowed to bounce around the bedrooms to their hearts content and this is in fact the main reason I rarely exploit the full potential of the D26.
Old 12th Aug 2010, 10:58 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
This is my Goblin Teasmade that I pulled off the tip around 20 years ago. I overhauled it and it works very well. The alarm buzzer must have been the cause of many unexplained deaths of the elderly between 7am and 8.30..It's HORRENDOUS! and I have no doubt it could have woken the time expired...
It also sounds like a steam traction engine about to explode as the boiling water is shot into the pot!
Ha ha!

I restored one of these a few years ago for one of my regular customers. He said exactly the same thing and asked me to disconnect the buzzer, as the tea making process was enough to wake him