UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2011, 9:10 am   #1
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Default Does your telecom provider support pulse dialling?

In a previous thread I said that I, despite contradictory anecdotal evidence, I did not believe that there were domestic telecom providers in the UK which did not support pulse dialling (loop disconnect).

Teetoon responded with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetoon View Post
I have been with TALK TALK for 3 years now, and earlier this year I noticed I could no longer use my dial phone in the shed to dial out. An easy test for this is just to hit the on hook button briefly (on any phone). If it returns to dial tone then your exchange line doesn't support loop disconnect anymore.
David.
Rather than take the previous thread off track, I have started this one to see what other know to be the current state of affairs. Do any of your UK Telecom providers not support pulse dialling? If so, who are they and in what areas?

Thanks
Chris
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 10:02 am   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Does your telecom provider support pulse dialling?

I've got a BT and a Virgin (ex Telewest) line, both support pulse dialling.
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 10:41 am   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

LD still supported at 01768, 017684, 01900, (Penrith, Skelton, Workington). My man at BT says he doesn't know when LD support will cease on BT networks. As a by-the-by, our digital PABX switch at work ('INDeX') doesn't support LD on its analogue ports. But it is a PABX and not a public system.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 11:32 am   #4
Station X

One off topic post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=73687

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 3:57 pm   #5
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Telephone lines have to sense loop disconnection i.e. Time Break Recall for conference and other 'star services'.

Just as if you dial ABCD in DTMF the exchange will recognise it as tones and process it to a number-not-recognised. It's purely a matter of software what the exchange does with the signals from the line.

On some exchnages an LD 1 is interpreted as a TBR
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 7:50 pm   #6

Talk Talk here, pulses OK.

Old 2nd Sep 2011, 8:21 pm   #7
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
Both BT and Virgin Media support Pulse dialling in the Teesside, Cleveland and South Durham areas of the North east.

Virgin Media lines can be a little "unforgiving" if the dial pulse train isn't close to the industry 10 pulses per second requirement though.

Regards
Andrew
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 9:19 pm   #8
Amraduk
Hexode

01707 (Potters Bar, Hertfordshire area) on BT accepts pulse dialling.

Regards,

Dave.
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 10:07 pm   #9
BakeliteBear
Pentode

So far my theory seems to be holding up with reports that all is well with pulse dialling!

I agree with Andiit (Andy has offered me sound advice on this subject in the past) that some exchanges seem, anecdotally, to be fussier with dial speeds etc. I am sure that the failure of ‘restorers’ to be able to correctly service and set dial speeds is the source of the myth of exchanges not accepting pulse dialling - IMHO of course.

So, so far, Barnstaple N.Devon on Talk Talk (which is where I am guessing where David is) seems possibly to be a problem. Any others?

Cheers Chris
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 10:10 pm   #10
McMurdo
Dekatron

I have just dialled my own number here by stabbing the hook switch...and got (thankfully!) an engaged tone. Staffs Moorlands BT AXE10 exchange provided by Unicom.
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 10:29 pm   #11
Station X

Perhaps a better question might be which providers/exchanges don't support LD Dialling? They seem to be in the minority.

Old 3rd Sep 2011, 4:22 am   #12
fetteler
Octode

I can confirm that the Staffs Moorlands Onecote supports pulse dialling.
Also it is an enthusiastic oatcake eater
Cheers,
Steve
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 7:40 am   #13
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Perhaps a better question might be which providers/exchanges don't support LD Dialling? They seem to be in the minority.
If you read my first post that was actually my question (perhaps the heading was misleading?), but it is great to hear from folk and I am very pleased to read the replies and to see that pulse dialling is alive and well!

If we can keep this alive for a bit it will be very interesting to see if anyone can confirm there is a problem in any area or with any supplier. Anecdotally, North Devon has been reported to me a few times and ‘Telewest’ as a supplier. I would also be interested to hear from folk in this area.

It was also reported to me that someone had to inform their supplier that they were using a vintage telephone and the supplier 'turned on LD' at the exchange – it seems unlikely (I have never managed to contact anyone who knew anything technical at Virgin!) but could there be any truth in this story??

Thanks to all
Chris

PS. Incidentally when I referred to 'restorers' in an earlier post I was thinking of those who wipe telephones over with a damp rag, add a line cord and then attempt to sell them on as 'fully restored' at an inflated price; I was not referring to hobbyists etc.

Last edited by BakeliteBear; 3rd Sep 2011 at 7:56 am.
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 8:19 am   #14
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeliteBear
If you read my first post that was actually my question (perhaps the heading was misleading?
It clearly is misleading, as so far everyone has answered the question in the header and not the one in the actual post.

Old 3rd Sep 2011, 8:34 am   #15
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Quote:
It clearly is misleading, as so far everyone has answered the question in the header and not the one in the actual post.
OK Graham, you have the power to change it if you would like.
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 8:36 am   #16
Station X

I'll leave it as it is, or it will look like no one has read the header or the post.

Old 3rd Sep 2011, 8:53 am   #17
Stockden
Heptode

Quote:
I didn't find it all misleading which is why, since my BT line does support pulse dialing, I didn't post anything. Of course, because most lines still seem to support it, only those who are misled (or who are not but have lines not supporting pulse) will actually post anything. The majority of us will stay silent.

Hugh
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 7:35 pm   #18
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
A quote from one of my Virgin Media/BT "insiders" regarding the cessation of Pulse dialling -

Quote:
"Never heard mention of it. As long as there are SYSX/DMS100 etc. still in use, I can't foresee any change to the way things are".
Regards
Andrew
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 9:20 pm   #19
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
Telephone lines have to sense loop disconnection
Having given this statement some thought, the above is quite correct as the very action of taking the telephone "off hook" creates a loop, which the equipment recognises as the instruction that the user requires a circuit for use.

If the equipment could not sense the presence/absence of a loop you wouldn't even get as far as having dial tone returned let alone be able use pulse dialling.

Most (probably all) VOIP ATAs will only accept Tone dialling but the way that they present dial tone to the telephone differs from that of a conventional telephone exchange in that the ATA isn't relying on a loop being generated in order to present dial tone to the telephone.

Incidentally dial tone isn't actually required, it is provided as a "confidence tone" to indicate to the user that the equipment at the exchange is ready and awaiting further instruction, such as a pulse or tone digit train; for example you don't receive dial tone when making a mobile call and the call is still connected; mobile calls still have to be routed through a telecoms switch (exchange) at some point in their journey.

Regards
Andrew
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 9:24 pm   #20
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeliteBear View Post
It was also reported to me that someone had to inform their supplier that they were using a vintage telephone and the supplier 'turned on LD' at the exchange
It's more likely that the "timeout window" (I think it has a proper name but can't think of it right now) has been extended allowing a slower pulse train to be sent to the register at the exchange, therefore giving the impression that LD has been "switched on"

Andrew
Closed Thread