UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Nov 2008, 11:55 pm   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Thumbs up 1949 Pye 'dollshouse' console

Hi all, I have just completed my restoration of a Pye P49 console set.

Dated from the smoothing cap as May 1949, it uses the then new range of loctal valves (UL41 etc) using 'Trader' sheet 922, I set to work on the chassis.

There was evidence of previous work being carried out, there was an old RS 32+32uF fitted neatly under the chassis and 'that' cap had been replaced.

After checking, I powered it up via my Variac; it came to life at 180v, with a mains hum. Connecting it to my outside aerial, I had reception on both wave bands. I then replaced the waxies and found that the 'new' smoothing cap was only being half used as one section of the old smoother was still connected! I cut this out of circuit and connected the unused side of the 'new' cap, then gently powered up on the Variac again, this time the set came up with no hum and plenty of volume, amazingly this set still retained its original UL41! and it's still working fine.

After giving the volume pot and wavechange switch a good squirt of Servisol, I cleaned 59 years of muck off the chassis and started on the cabinet, apart from a few light scratches and a few paint splashes it is in quite good nick, it looks like this set has always been indoors.

I removed the nice 8" speaker and removed the grille for cleaning, it responded well to an old nail brush and washing powder. As the cabinet was dull and dirty, I gave it a thorough going over with white spirit. Although now nice and clean, its finish was dull, so I tried a bit of T-cut on it and was amazed at the transformation, however it took nearly two hours of hard graft to complete it!

After re-assembly I noticed that although the dial had 'Third' and 'Home' on it. There is no sign of the 'Light' programme. Was this a mistake
when new?

Overall this was an enjoyable restoration of a cute little console
set, which now looks so good it's allowed in the house .

Mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p49chassisbefore.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	21065   Click image for larger version

Name:	p49outafter.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	21066   Click image for larger version

Name:	p49chassisafter.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	21067   Click image for larger version

Name:	p49dial.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	21068  
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 11:57 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: 1949 Pye 'dollshouse' console

And more photos...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ul41.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	21069   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0012.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	21070   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0015.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	21071  
Old 4th Nov 2008, 7:02 am   #3
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

I've always liked these sets. A simple effective chassis in one of the most simple cabinets - a good example of post war modernism. They do perform well, as do most Pyes of the period.

They are quite rare now, I can't think when I last saw one although I remember repairing several when I worked for a Pye dealer in the late 1960s.

Quote:
there is no sign of the light programme was this a mistake
No, the light programme was the BBC's "National" service at this time - it's in the right place in the middle of the long wave.

Congratulations on a nice find and a neat light touch restoration!
Old 4th Nov 2008, 12:11 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Beautifull finish on that cabinet Mark considering it wasn't necessary to entirely re-polish! I spotted "National" on the dial last night Brian but didn't register that it's in the right place for the Light. With you "hands on" experience you've clearly got the advantage but I was a bit confused trying to research Broadcasting History to confirm the projected 1949 date.

1. Despite the May 49 markings on the can, it seemed unikely that the Model No would [necessarily] coincide with the year.
2. A Europe Vintage site gives a 1951 date for this model!
3 One site claims that the "National" Station title was in use from the twenties only until the outbreak of war in 1939, when the Home Service was created from Regional and Central Transmitters.
However, this was in itself, done to provide a 'national' output.
4. The popular Forces/General Radio Services were combined as the Light Program from July 1945 onwards.
5. The Third Program was created in 1946.
6. I saw a reference to "loctals" coming in around 1941 but the ULK41's etc [in my ignorance] I would normally associate with the 50's.

Apologies to those who [of course] know this already [and/or may have experienced it first hand].

To summarise, like Mark, I'm still a bit puzzled why the dial doesn't say Light Program if the set was manufactured 4-6 years after it's introduction?
Can anybody be more definitive or is the info wrong somewhere? Have I missed the obvious?
Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 4th Nov 2008 at 12:37 pm.
Old 4th Nov 2008, 1:22 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Pye weren't made of money you know!

They were most likely re-using old dials from other models.

As I'm at work at the moment I don't have access to my service manuals an other Pye data. I suspect that this may be common to one of the immediate pre-war sets. If I get chance this evening I'll look and see what I can find.

Regards,
Old 4th Nov 2008, 5:54 pm   #6
paulsherwin

B8A valves like the UL41 aren't loctals, they're Rimlocks. Loctals are B8B types like the EBL21. That's my understanding of the position anyway.

Loctals were an American design dating from the early 40s, while Rimlocks were a Philips design launched in the late 40s.

Paul
Old 4th Nov 2008, 7:51 pm   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

Hi all, it does seem strange that the 'light' programme does'nt appear on the dial, i have several older sets that do.
Quote:
Despite the May 49 markings on the can, it seemed unikely that the Model No would [necessarily] coincide with the year.
A Europe Vintage site gives a 1951 date for this model!
I just checked the trader sheet for this set, which gives a release date of april 1949, and a price of £17 & 17 shillings (plus purchase tax)
So due to the date on the main electrolitic, i am sure of the date of manufacture.
Quote:
Beautifull finish on that cabinet Mark considering it wasn't necessary to entirely re-polish!
I am pleased with the way the cabinet has come up, it was so dull looking
When i got it, i will try the T- cut approach again, i always use it to bring
back a fantastic shine on my bakelite & plastic sets, but never tryed it on a
wooden set before.
Paul, thanks for putting me right on the valves, i have always thought they were called loctals
P.S. i have just realised, i have not uploaded the cabinet 'before' photo, so here it is.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PIC_0031a.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	21081  
Old 4th Nov 2008, 7:51 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks Paul, learning lot [al] here. The 1941 jobs didn't look right.
I did wonder about the possible "re-using" of old dials [as Brian Speculates] but thought it more likely I'd missed something! Perhaps Pye was more hand to mouth than I'd imagined. There certainly wasn't much money about after the war [I'm told] and wasn't rationing still in until 53?] Dave

PS. Just seen your post Mark-1949 it is! An excellent year.
Old 5th Nov 2008, 3:21 pm   #9
newlite4
Octode

I notice that the knobs are the same as those on the LV18/20 series table-top TVs of the same year. This set has quite a pleasant simple uncomplicated appearance.
Neil
Old 5th Nov 2008, 6:12 pm   #10
mark pirate
Dekatron

Hi Neil,
Quote:
I notice that the knobs are the same as those on the LV18/20 series table-top TVs of the same year. This set has quite a pleasant simple uncomplicated appearance.
One of the reasons i purchased this set is that i have a pye d18t console tv
(stored, awaiting restoration) and thought they would look good together
My other half actually likes these sets, so when we move house these will have pride of place.

Mark
Old 22nd Jan 2009, 5:41 pm   #11
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Mark,
I've just come across your thread. I had a previous thread (search Export? Pye Radio) about a little Pye AC/DC radio I'd bought which I couldn't find any information on. The general concensus was that it was an export set so I was on my own. However, it was suggested that it was probably like a 49 - it has 49 in its number. Somehow I never got round to posting any pictures of the chassis. I've now attached one, and I'm amazed how similar it is to yours, apart from the speaker being attached to the front. I've got lots more pictures. I think it's one of the greatest advantages of the digital camera in that you can take lots of pictures and don't need to worry about 'where did that wire go?'. I haven't quite finished mine yet but when I do it will be on here.
Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LttleCleanTop.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	22572  
Closed Thread