UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2008, 5:01 pm   #1
GrahamN
Hexode

Default Minor Cabinet Refinishing

I seem to be constantly asking questions...

Once I've finished my DAC90A restoration I shall be starting work on an Ace valve radio. I'm confident enough on the electronics (I think), but I'm not too sure about the cabinet.

Looking at it, it doesn't seem bad enough to need stripping and refinishing, but there are quite a few scratches and small digs. Also a very tiny piece of veneer is missing from the top back edge.

I've absolutely no experience of working on wooden cabinets, and I'm really unsure where to start or what to do. Any advice?

Thanks

(pictures are on https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=29613)

Last edited by GrahamN; 13th Aug 2008 at 5:04 pm. Reason: Add photo
Old 14th Aug 2008, 8:51 pm   #2
FRANK.C
Heptode

Default Re: Minor Cabinet Refinishing

Hi Graham
I had a cabinet that like you I didn't want to strip and refinish.
For the heavier scratches that were gone through to the wood. I used wood stain with a small brush a darker colour than the original usually works best. I prefer the water based wood stains I find them easier to work with. And then used scratch remover on the rest (it can be got in places like B&Q).
If it is only a small piece of veneer it can be filled with wax sticks that comes in a range of colours for this purpose. Again they can be got at B&Q.
The end result will not be perfect but the scratches wont be as visible

Frank
Closed Thread