UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2008, 3:50 pm   #1
TimS
Pentode

Default Making radio backs

As I now realise that finding an intact DAC90 back is likely to be impossible (well, not a spare one anyway), I'm after making a new one or buying a repro at a reasonable price.

Functionality takes precedence over mimicing orginality, so preference to non-combustible materials!

Any suggestions or recommendations? Also any photos/diagrams of an original DAC90 back are appreciated.

-- Tim.
Old 12th Jul 2008, 4:25 pm   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Making radio backs

Ben Dijkman http://www.reproradio.nl/shop/ can supply backs to your specification; not exactly cheap, but he has a reputation for excellent quality.
The traditional (and I suppose in that sense, authentic) replacement is pegboard, but I'm not sure that it's still available. Millboard, however, is available from vintage car trim suppliers, and a couple of hours work with a leather punch or similar would produce a very satisfactory replacement back.
Old 12th Jul 2008, 8:44 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have replaced the missing back panels on several of my sets using a back from a scrapped radiogram.

If you have the remains of the old back you can use this as a template, if not, lay the set on its back on a piece of card and draw round the set, then trim the card to use as a template.

BTW on my DAC90 the usual burnt area was removed and a piece of scrap back was joined on, this worked well and the set is now safe .

Cheers,
Mark.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 25th Dec 2008 at 5:13 pm. Reason: FSK problem fixed.
Old 19th Jul 2008, 2:30 pm   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Cut the burnt corner out and replace it with a 'patch' of appropriately shaped and slotted paxolin

David
Closed Thread