UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Oct 2016, 12:30 pm   #1
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Polishing Rexine

I have been trying to bring up the black rexine on a Hacker Hunter RP38A.

Eventually my gaze fell on a can of silicone lubricant and I began to wonder if it's anything like silicone polish!

Ignoring the old advice, 'don't do anything you can't undo', I polished it with said lubricant and it comes up really nicely!

Not too shiny and sort of gets in to the pattern on the rexine. Anyone else tried it? I've only done it on the black one at the moment but now I'm eyeing up the blue ones!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silicone lubricant.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	131003  
Old 8th Oct 2016, 8:42 pm   #2
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Default Re: Polishing Rexine

Hi John

I use car dash cleaner which is probably very similar and silicone based. Has a fragrance as well which freshens them up.

Graham
Old 8th Oct 2016, 9:19 pm   #3
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Re: Polishing Rexine

Never bought any of that. I bought this to do the window rubbers on our motorhome and I always think it's not very good on those!

Quite good on Hacker rexine though! Doesn't shine it up too much.