UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2015, 3:17 pm   #1
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Breeze Connectors - Sizes?

Hi All

I'm looking for information on the physical sizes of the Breeze connectors used on RAF equipment in WW2.

These are the circular multi-pin types with flange mounted chassis bodies and cylindrical free connectors. I only need a few major dimensions.

The ultimate would be a Breeze document with drawings in but individual dimensions would be OK. I know I will be needing more in the future but this photo shows 6 off as a starter!

Any info would be great!

Thanks
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploads 129.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	102821   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploads 131.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	102822  
Old 18th Jan 2015, 6:26 pm   #2
llama
Octode

Default Re: Breeze Connectors - Sizes?

I've never heard of Breeze connectors but these look like what I've normally known as W connectors.

I have an RF unit with one on and I could measure that if you like. Same as on a WS46, oddly. I also have a somewhat butchered R1355 so if the sockets are intact I could measure that too.

Attached image is of text from a Gee manual.
Graham
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wconn.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	102851  
Old 18th Jan 2015, 7:38 pm   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Breeze connectors and W-connectors are quite different. The ones James has shown on his SBA junction box are indeed Breeze connectors, whereas those on the GEE system are W-connectors.
Breeze connectors are quite elusive for some reason, whereas W-connectors are relatively easy to find.
Andy
Old 18th Jan 2015, 11:19 pm   #4
llama
Octode

Thanks for the clarification, Andy.
Any examples of equipment using them?
Graham
Old 19th Jan 2015, 10:07 am   #5
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Graham,
W-connectors were used mainly on British radar equipment, for example H2S, and GEE as you already know. Also on some comms equipment such as the TR1196. They are also seen on US equipment which was intended to be compatible, such as the SCR-522 VHF Tx/Rx and early Loran units.

An example of a system where Breeze connectors were used was the Standard Beam Approach landing aid, the picture shown by James is part of SBA.

However they were extensively used in aircraft looming, certainly in the Lancaster and I assume in other aircraft of that era. Where cable looms passed through bulkheads or frames, Breeze connectors were used. This is not surprising as I remember reading (but can't remember where) that Breeze made up complete wiring looms for fitting to the Lancaster. I believe Breeze were an American company, but I guess must have also had a UK manufacturing side?

I've also seen Breeze connectors used on later aircraft equipment, for example I have a rotary inverter and its regulator unit which was part of the Ranging Radar fitted to the Hawker Hunter. The interconnecting lead between the inverter and the regulator uses Breeze connectors, but the connector to the radar system is then a Plessey type!

Andy
Old 19th Jan 2015, 10:26 am   #6
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi

I have found an AERCO catalogue that links 'standard breeze' with AB's AB06 (patt 105) range. I suppose that it might be possible that companies may have copied and carried on the design under another name when Breeze went under.

James
Old 19th Jan 2015, 10:44 am   #7
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

James, that sounds very interesting! I've never seen a catalogue showing Breeze types.
Any chance of a scan?
Many thanks,
Andy
Old 19th Jan 2015, 11:44 am   #8
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi Andy

There was only a text 'link', nothing in the catalogue supports this statement and of course I don't have enough detail about the Breeze connectors to confirm/refute any similarity. This is the link to the AB Connectors list of catalogues.

http://ttabconnectors.com/index.php?page=connectors

You can jump to the catalogue from here and see the drawings it holds. This is the sort of catalogue that I was hoping might be available for the Breeze range. Judging only from the design of the 90 degree elbow for the free connector it doesn't seem that there is any correlation though.

The AB05 and 06 range conform to MIL-C-26482, I wonder (hope) if this was the designation for the 'Breeze' range or if the range spawned this number.

Cheers
James
Old 19th Jan 2015, 1:39 pm   #9
pmmunro
Octode

The MIL-C-26482 is still readily available and is used on military and broadcast equipment http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/12-070.pdf as are the similar MIL-C-38999 http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/12-070.pdf but I don't think these ranges are what you are looking for.

PMM
Old 19th Jan 2015, 3:23 pm   #10
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

There is an important difference regarding Breeze connectors which hasn’t been mentioned so far............

The W-connector was, I guess, one of the earliest types of standardised circular military connector. The shell of the fixed part is threaded externally, to engage with an internal thread in the locking ring which is part of the free part of the connector. The insulated insert which carries the pins in the free part is located in the shell such that it cannot rotate within it, and the locking ring is free to be rotated around the shell. This principle became the usual approach in later types of circular connector, for example the Plessey range, common on military equipment through the cold-war era, and later types such as the MIL-38999. In later types the thread on the outside of the shell of the fixed part is replaced by three small radial ‘pegs’, with corresponding course spiral grooves inside the locking ring on the free part, but the principle remains the same.

The Breeze connector is quite different. The shell of the fixed part has an internal thread, and the shell of the free part has an external mating thread. There is no locking ring. The insert in the free part is free to rotate within the shell. So as a connector is mated, once the pins have engaged the insert in the free part cannot rotate, and the shell rotates about it as it is screwed home. This raises an interesting issue if the wires are contained within a screening braid or conduit, attached to the back of the shell with a gland. It is essential that the gland nut is slackened to allow the shell to rotate relative to the braid or conduit when a connector is fitted or removed.

I have a short document, A.P.1095, Volume 1, Section III, Chapter 5 “Breeze Screened Wiring System”. It is only a dozen pages, so I can scan it if anybody is interested. Unfortunately it doesn’t answer James’s question regarding connector sizes, it is essentially concerned with techniques used to terminate the wiring in the connectors.

Andy
Old 19th Jan 2015, 8:55 pm   #11
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
The Breeze connector is quite different....... It is essential that the gland nut is slackened to allow the shell to rotate relative to the braid or conduit when a connector is fitted or removed..........
Andy

That answers a head scratching niggle I had for a long time, all the Breeze connector junction boxes on the MkI Stirling have a label with a similar warning! Hope you can make it out.

James
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	View into main spar.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	102939  
Old 5th Apr 2015, 6:29 pm   #12
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Still digging around for information on Breeze connectors, I've stumbled over another piece of the jigsaw. As is often the case with something like this, with hindsight it's surprising I hadn't come acros it before!

What we know as Breeze Connectors (part of the overall Breeze Wiring System) in the UK were actually made by Plessey, who took out a manufacturing licence from the Breeze Corporation in the US, in 1936.

So they can also be referred to as 'Plessey Breeze'.

(Note that they are not to be confused with the range of circular connectors commonly described as 'Plessey Connectors' which were used extensively on military equipment during the cold-war era.)

Which begs the question, has anybody got any old Plessey catalogues from the 40's or 50's which might include the Breeze range?

Andy
Old 5th Apr 2015, 7:22 pm   #13
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, no data on Breeze connectors I'm afraid, but I looked up my old 1981/2 copy of the ITT yellow parts catalogue; it is full of a wide variety of connectors form many different manufacturers. I kept it as a valuable cross ref.

Not sure if anyone has an older copy that may have Breeze in it.

Ed
Old 5th Apr 2015, 8:00 pm   #14
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

It might be worth contacting Roy at Electrojumble.
http://electrojumble.org.uk/index.htm

Apart from the data on his website, he has a mountain of leaflets/data sheets/catalogues, plus an immense amount of knowledge, and may be able to find the information you require.
Old 5th Apr 2015, 8:59 pm   #15
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Good idea, I'll do that. He doesn't list Breeze types on his website, but you're right, he is knowledgeable and helpful, I've bought from him in the past.
Andy
Old 5th Apr 2015, 11:11 pm   #16
llama
Octode

Just looked in the big yellow ITT book from about 1977 and the only Plessey ones I can see are Mk 7.
Graham
Old 6th Apr 2015, 12:54 am   #17
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Graham, thanks for looking.

I don't know when these connectors were considered to be obsolete, but I suspect probably during the 1960's, so we need a catalogue from the 40's or 50's.

I've emailed Roy at Electrojumble to ask if he knows anything about them.

Andy
Old 6th Apr 2015, 1:08 am   #18
McMurdo
Dekatron

FC Lane mention Standard Breeze on their clearance section

https://www.fclane.com/product-group/plessey-connectors
Old 6th Apr 2015, 9:22 am   #19
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Kevin,
Yes, I'd spotted that and wondered about contacting them. I've had no dealings with FC Lane, are they willing to talk to folk after information and maybe small orders?
I'll phone them after the Easter break.
Andy
Old 6th Apr 2015, 12:05 pm   #20
McMurdo
Dekatron

I don't think there's any minimum order but there will be a courier charge. The last stuff I had from there were Weald connectors but that was 10 years ago.