UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2015, 8:22 pm   #21
beamcurrent
Heptode

Default Re: Breeze Connectors - Sizes?

on the subject of rare connectors, I have been after some of these. They are pre ww2 and are used on BBC audio equipment from that period. I have never seen them on any other equipment and I have been looking for some years now! About an inch in diameter and they have a passing resemblance to the connectors used by the USAF in WW2, but not quite the same.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oba8socket.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	106641  

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 7th Apr 2015, 12:51 am   #22
majoconz
Heptode

I just happen to have a page from an HS748 manual entitled "Types of Plessey Standard (Breeze) Sockets. 'Ang on a sec and I'll run it through the scanner.......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plessey Breeze Plugs.pdf (1.38 MB, 655 views)
Old 7th Apr 2015, 7:56 am   #23
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Martin, very many thanks for that, another piece in the jigsaw!

Does the manual include any info on the pin-layouts available, or give any part numbers for complete connectors, fixed or free parts?

It's interesting that it gives part numbers for the pins in the 5X/xxxx series, so even though te HS748 was a civil aircraft they still used the Air Ministry numbers for the pins.

What's the date on your manual?

I wonder if the 748 used Breeze connectors throughout its life, in which case they were a current type for a lot longer than I thought - the last 748 was completed in 1988!

Andy
Old 7th Apr 2015, 12:11 pm   #24
majoconz
Heptode

Sorry, that's the only page I have. It's not the done thing in aircraft maintenance to have 'cheat books' of copied pages from the 'official' library as they don't get updated but in the 748 case I guess updates would be few and far between! There's not even a manual reference on that page. Date? 1980's at the latest I would guess. WYSIWYG I'm afraid!

If you google for 'plessey breeze plugs' there's a few pics and some more if you google for 'cannon plugs' but you get further and further away from the subject as you go down the page!

There's a whole tin of plessey plug bits here and the terminal block connectors - could have come from my toolbox!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-way-etc-pl...item43da516b52

Last edited by majoconz; 7th Apr 2015 at 12:29 pm.
Old 13th Apr 2015, 9:56 am   #25
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

AS a follow-up to this, I've made progress on two fronts.

Thanks to Terry Parker of the Aviation Forum I now have an A.P. describing the whole range of connectors, with part numbers, and also sizes which is what James was after for his 3D modelling. I've forwarded the document to James.

I then contacted FC Lane Electronics who were very helpful. After a number of phone conversations and emails, I had a long and interesting chat with their Sales Director, and we negotiated a price I can afford for a number of connectors, which should now be on their way to me. Definitely a supplier to add to the 'Recommended' list!

Andy
Old 13th Apr 2015, 10:50 am   #26
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi Andy

Great work on getting me the docs I need, is this the end of your search to get the right connectors for your SBA rebuild?

James
Old 13th Apr 2015, 11:32 am   #27
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

James,
I'll call it 'the beginning of the end' until I have all the right connectors to hand! I'm also following another couple of options, so may well end up with more than I need!
I'm also after Breeze Connectors to allow me to build a replica of the Lancaster Bomb Aimer's panel, but I'm not sure of the correct types yet.
Andy
Old 13th Apr 2015, 1:25 pm   #28
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Andy

I have just remembered that The Stirling Project also need connectors/cables for their SBA rebuild. I've asked if that is still the case, they might appreciate the chance to have a set bought with your set given that you have done all the work to get the part numbers together, etc. Would you be happy to extend your order if they have the cash?

Possibly they might mop-up any excess you might obtain.

Hang on - I will need some for my Marker Receiver rebuilt too.....

Cheers
James
Old 13th Apr 2015, 3:57 pm   #29
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

James,
I've ordered from Lane Electronics an example of each of what I believe is the right part number, so I can check that they are what I'm expecting, and I've said that I'll then order more as neccesary.
I've also got enquiries in with two other potential sources, so we might find we have a glut of connectors..........
Andy
Closed Thread