UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2009, 6:06 pm   #1
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Default Philips 206A working

Success
A long post but I hope informative.
My first ‘restoration’ but more of a steep learning curve! I bought the Philips 206A and the seller said it was working and also included a spare case, and the trader sheet, the price was very reasonable.
Visual inspection showed nothing obviously wrong so I powered it up…..silence. Not even a hum. All valves lit and there was HT in the correct places. First fault was the volume control, when measured with a ohm meter it was o/c to the wiper across almost all its range. I took it apart and cleaned the track with IPA and lubricant. This made no difference as a close inspection showed the track to be totally absent. The mains switch is built on the front of the control so I had to rewire the mains to go to a rear mounted mains switch on a new pot. This brought back the audio stage.
Next fault. At this point the set worked quite well although slightly unstable and ‘not quite right’. Also there was an intermittent fault which cut the whole audio off. This was the screened lead to the IF valve grid from the IF transformer. By moving the lead the signal would come and go quite reliably. So.. out with the IF can and off with its case. Unsolder and remove the screened wire, which had indeed broken where it exited from the IF can, and replace it with a new length with some braid from a coax as the screening. This cured the intermittency and the set was working, but it still felt ‘wrong’
Measuring the HT it was a bit low and had more than the expected amount of ripple on it. This was traced back to the mains transformer. The 250-0-250 secondary was only producing voltage on one side. A rescue was considered using a silicon diode and resistor but this gave too much HT so was abandoned. I got hold of a scrap chassis via this forum and proceeded to remove the mains transformer and transplant it. Power up and main house trip blew. Not the RCD I had on the set. Odd I thought. Resistance measurements showed a leak from the primary to the earthy side of the heater winding. Hunt for good mains transformer. A shop on e-bay had a small NOS RS one 250-0-250, 6.3 and 5v secondaries. With the addition of a 1ohm resistor to drop the heater voltage for the rectifier valve it required 4v not 5v. Power up all ok. All three bands lively, no sign of instability.
Too good to last. Short wave stopped working. Long and medium fine. Out with the scope, Local oscillator not running on short wave but OK on medium and long. Resistance measurements around the wave change switch showed various contacts were either high resistance or open. Long think. I tried cleaning with IPA and contact lubricant but to no avail. It seemed that the ‘spring’ had gone from the switch elements. As I had a spare wave change switch and coils from the donated chassis I swopped them over. That’s easy to say but took several evenings work. Switch on, short wave ok medium wave ok long wave nothing. Back to the circuit. Checked the local oscillator running fine on all wavebands. I then checked the coils associated with long wave. L6 was open circuit. This is on a former with three other coils. Obvious answer is to swop over the working bank from the old switch bank. Another few evenings work and radio working on all three wavebands.
It still is not as sensitive as I think it should be but as all bands work and it looks good I think I’ll stop.
As I said at the start this is my first restoration and never thought it would be this difficult but it’s a good feeling when it all starts working.
Thanks to all on the forum, although I didn’t ask many questions there were answers from other problems which helped me solve mine.

The faulty coil L6 is at the top of the photo. Some of the hair thin wires can be seen.

Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Workingconditions.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	22790  
Old 31st Jan 2009, 11:19 pm   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 206A working

Blimey, that set provided a few evenings of entertainment even before it was working!
Old 1st Feb 2009, 11:53 am   #3
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Default Re: Philips 206A working

Thanks Tim, It did provide a few head scratching moments.The first photo attachment didnt work so here it is again.To make life a lot easier for the small delicate jobs i have now got an illuminated magnifier lamp.

Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L6.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	22823  

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 1st Feb 2009 at 12:11 pm. Reason: Embedded image converted to thumbnail.
Closed Thread