UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2019, 2:06 pm   #1
The Philpott
Octode

Default German Wall Clock circa 1930

A tired old pendulum clock that shouldn't really be thrown away..and I think we have some clock collectors on here.

At a guess I would say this is 1928-1930, when new it chimed hours, halves, and quarters, via a 'Mullko Harmonie Gong Nr.22' an arrangement of 8 chime rods and hammers. One of these 8 ferrous rods is absent and may well be part of NASA's space programme now....

A piece of wood is detached (picture)

It's quite clean inside, and the clock has been running nicely for a couple of hours, but the 7 remaining 'bongs' are no longer operating. This is probably for someone who already has one of these clocks and would be wise to hoard spares.

Collect or FCS! 15.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01370.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	188865   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01371.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	188866   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01372.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	188867   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01373.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	188868  
Old 25th Aug 2019, 2:38 pm   #2
electronicskip
Octode

Default Re: German Wall Clock circa 1930

One for the repair shop? seems a good candidate.
Old 25th Aug 2019, 6:10 pm   #3
The Philpott
Octode

It would almost certainly be a viable repair for them; the problem is it doesn't have a (known) back story to go with it.. It simply performed a wheels-up landing in my workshop and is sitting there looking incongruous!

Lightbulb moment- It's possible the local 'museum of power' might take it on.

Dave
Old 26th Aug 2019, 6:10 pm   #4
PJL
Dekatron

I would very much like this as I have a very similar one inherited from my grandmother which is missing a few bits from one of the strike trains after it was professionally 'restored'.

Would it be possible to post a picture of the movement just to confirm it is a similar design.
Old 26th Aug 2019, 10:00 pm   #5
The Philpott
Octode

Will do! I was looking at it today and there is evidence it has been messed with over the years (to be expected) but nothing else too ghastly has appeared.

The movement is out of the case currently so photos should be of reasonable quality.

Dave
Old 27th Aug 2019, 10:19 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

This will make a nice clock for someone.

This style of clock is pretty common and crop in charity shops round here for 20-50 or so.

But most seem to be striking (two train) as opposed to yours which is chiming (three train).

There will no doubt be a manufacturer's mark somewhere on the movement's plates.

Nick.
Old 27th Aug 2019, 11:46 am   #7
PJL
Dekatron

The one I want to repair chimes very loudly. The chime and going train are working, it is the strike that has the damage so it is not regulated anymore.
Old 27th Aug 2019, 4:49 pm   #8
The Philpott
Octode

The maker's mark is 'UM', with a profile of a Lion. Also marked '43'
The two steel brackets are clearly a fabrication by someone who has removed the movement for work and lost the original mountings. He has drilled new holes in the cabinet to line up with these.

As you'd expect the hammers have soft pads to make the gongs/chimes less harsh.

It appears that the hour strike is (simultaneously) by 4 linked hammers to 4 chime rods.

The halves and quarters (which show no sign of life at the moment) are probably a sequence of 8 or 16 notes, struck using the 4 chime rods on the other side of the gong block (i have experimented by tapping and there is a classic 'Westminster chime' hiding in there if played in the correct order)

Without knowing what the problem is with your clock I can't really say further, apart from observing that the mechanism if suitably packaged might be easier to transport than the entire clock!

I can do measurements from the cabinet of the mounting holes for the movement and the gong block if that helps confirm compatibility.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01377.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	188991   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01378.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	188992   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01379.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	188993   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01380.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	188994  
Old 27th Aug 2019, 4:53 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That's apparently the trademark of Wilhem Muller & Co. of Muhlheim.

Nick.
Old 27th Aug 2019, 6:24 pm   #10
PJL
Dekatron

This one is Haller & Benzing. The part that is completely missing is the fly wheel (the one with the vane at the opposite end to your picture). This has a lantern pinion of 8 wires and the plates are spaced by about 36.5mm.
Old 27th Aug 2019, 9:56 pm   #11
The Philpott
Octode

I'll have a look at the flywheels tomorrow night. Haller & Benzing movements of that era do look significantly different- and higher quality- than the Muller ones though. The critical measurement for interchangeability could be the length of the shaft on which the flywheels sit.
Old 27th Aug 2019, 9:59 pm   #12
PJL
Dekatron

Apologies for being such a PITA
Old 27th Aug 2019, 10:16 pm   #13
PaulR
Nonode

In my humble opinion it is too nice to be broken for spares. It looks like a fairly straightforward repair for someone who can do it. It is quite time consuming, however, and paying someone to do it professionally would probably exceed the value of the clock. I would take it on but I have more clocks than radios stored in the loft and really dare not take on another to preserve marital harmony!
Old 28th Aug 2019, 9:07 pm   #14
The Philpott
Octode

PaulR, that's exactly what i started to think especially once the westminster chime hammers suddenly came to life.. after moving the side lever, adding a drop of oil --it started going through a 20 note sequence in batches of 4- non-stop.

I can't see any serious wear on any of the teeth...it really is a shame.

The distance between the main plates is 37mm. The flywheels (well, they're more like air brakes really..) are both approx 27.5mm* high and 25.5mm wide. I imagine attempting to separate them from their shafts would result in disintegration.

Edit: the flywheels are a slightly different shape- and i need to re-check those measurements as one looks taller....*

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01381.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	189065   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01383.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	189066   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01384.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	189067   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01385.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	189068  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 9:13 pm   #15
PaulR
Nonode

It sounds as if it is basically sound. The main issue will probably be wear where the pivots go into the plates, but that can be repaired. Looking at the photos it isn't the best quality (lantern pinions and a bent metal escapement anchor) but it still seems a shame to break it up.

Are we saying 15 to have it delivered? I am tempted if nobody else wants to preserve it.
Old 29th Aug 2019, 7:01 pm   #16
The Philpott
Octode

There's the other problem- there's elements that i can't adequately secure for posting- and it would come out as parcelforce 'large parcel' so the cost would be prohibitive (even if i had a suitable box!)

I shall have to have a think about this- and do some gentle probing for worn bushings.

Dave
Old 29th Aug 2019, 8:46 pm   #17
PaulR
Nonode

Ok Dave, fair enough.
Old 29th Aug 2019, 10:31 pm   #18
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

FCS would work though?
Old 31st Aug 2019, 9:41 pm   #19
PJL
Dekatron

I am away at the moment but definitely interested as they sound like a good fit but am happy to pass if someone is planning to restore it. Could arrange for collection. Peter.
Old 1st Sep 2019, 3:52 pm   #20
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Much too good to strip for spares - in any case a waste of time doing that as parts aren't interchangeable between makes and finding the same make and model will probably have as much wear as this one - wheels don't wear but pivot holes do; main springs break and their holes tear.

Each fly is held on its arbor with a flat spring.

Be very careful with the eight bronze chiming and striking rods - they can break very easily. Never try to bend them.

Hope we see it all running and chiming!