UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2019, 3:08 pm   #1
Woodfordman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Grundig 140 to computer

I have purchased a Grundig TK140 to transfer some old recordings to my computer. The tape recorder is fine and works well after cleaning but am having difficulty connecting up to the computer.

In another thread I read that the the 5 pin Din socket top left rear is for both record and play back and is the one to use but apparently I need a 3 pin din to 3.5 mm jack to get the sound across to the computer.

As a novice I suppose I should first ask if that sounds correct and if so where do I purchase such a lead?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 24th Aug 2019, 5:54 pm   #2
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Re: Grundig 140 to computer

It might be worth running this Reel to reel through an external Hifi amplifier and using the headphone output from the amp with a normal audio cable. Just plug the reel to reel into the amplifier with a 5 pin din.

Several of the vintage amps I own have a five pin din and RCA cables for the tape loop. So if you have any older amps laying round check and see if there is any din plug connectors on the rear for the tape input/output.
Old 24th Aug 2019, 6:03 pm   #3
paulsherwin

5 pin DIN to 3.5mm stereo jack leads can be bought for a pound or two on eBay, but 3 pin DIN leads are much rarer (they are only used with mono gear). You may need to buy the plugs and make up the cable yourself.

You can actually bodge the DIN connection as a one off, using cocktail sticks or bent paperclips to hold the bare wires in the socket holes.
Old 24th Aug 2019, 7:41 pm   #4
Woodfordman
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks. Any idea which three pins I should use to "bodge" it?
Old 24th Aug 2019, 8:04 pm   #5
paulsherwin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector

It's a mono connector. The centre pin is earth (screen) and the signal will be on one of the other two pins. Just experiment. You will need to connect both channels of the stereo cable to the mono signal.

You can scavenge a suitable cable from a scrap pair of earbuds or headphones.
Closed Thread