UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2015, 9:54 pm   #21
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: TV programme "back in time for Christmas"

Presumably most of these programmes are VT (or digital) recordings, rather than film, so it's fairly simple to genlock the sets - admittedly a little more non-standard for the 405 line sets, which can only be field locked.
I appreciate that it's not always so simple, and have long been fascinated by an odd artifact seen on the 'Strike it Lucky' quiz show (for another thread, perhaps).
Old 18th Dec 2015, 10:09 pm   #22
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've noticed on this and the 'dinner' series how it's a mix of real pictures where the TV just happens to be in shot, and superimposed where the tv programme is the subject of the shot. Our forum tv owner will no doubt expand on the programming arrangements! I have some old 18fps cine film which catches our G8 at christmas and it has a rolling black bar. When BBC1's Casualty first started, any live PC monitors in shot would show a jagged look if the camera was panned. Later series used backlit slides in prop monitors. I'm sure it's a subject in itself!
Old 24th Dec 2015, 5:13 pm   #23
regentone001
Heptode

I watched these programs too and was surprised at the fibreglass standard lamp used in the 1960's house I remember selling them in the mid 70's and was the what looked like a BUSH tv more of a 70's set? I can remember selling sets very similar to that one too under the BUSH, Murphy and Defiant brands,yes I worked for the CO-OP. Posh folk were reluctant to buy Defiant because they were "cheap" even though they were exactly the same set just badged differently
Old 24th Dec 2015, 5:46 pm   #24
paulsherwin

The set dressing for the 60s episode was mostly from the end of the decade. 10 years is a long time in technology.
Old 24th Dec 2015, 5:47 pm   #25
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by regentone001 View Post
Posh folk were reluctant to buy Defiant because they were "cheap" even though they were exactly the same set just badged differently
Similarly, some people wouldn't have a "Baird"-branded Radio Rentals TV or video-recorder because it showed they were renting rather than owning. Even though they were living in a council-house. . . In the 1980s the Granada rental-chain's house-brand was "Finlandia" and everyone knew that meant you rented rather than owned.

Odd how perceptions change with time.
Old 17th Feb 2016, 3:07 pm   #26
ntscuser
Hexode

Have only just caught up with this programme so the 'seasonal' aspect was completely lost on me.

It does seem odd that they chose a tiny Sony to represent family viewing in a large open-plan living room in the 1970s. I would have thought a 22" push-through set was far more typical of the period.
Old 17th Feb 2016, 4:12 pm   #27
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Hi all

There is a new version of the programme 'back in time for the weekend'.

Last week there was VT from a film in a TV factory, mid 60s, couldnt work out the sets being made.

Last night was the 70's so some more VT of shop windows of the time and there was a display of an early 70s TV shop with a Pye coulour (205) in the window.

All very exciting for me, but probably very boring for everyone else.

Cheers

Mike
Old 17th Feb 2016, 5:46 pm   #28
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: TV programme "Back in time for Christmas"

One understandable mistake often made is that if, say, a programme is set in 1965 then everything will need to be from that date i.e.brand new. Of course the TV would have probably been from the Fifties as would the car, radio, cooker and so on. Nowadays if an item of technology is more than a few years old it's looked on with disdain by those who know!
Designers and directors have a lot to do with things chosen - doubtless the TV22 and the Sony KV1300 being iconic designs look the part more than say a VT4 or a Thorn 1500 would, though the latter might be more appropriate.
Re post \25 - amazing how the Baird TVs and video recorders we sold second hand in the Eighties mysteriously sported Ferguson badges when we'd finished refurbishing them....
Glyn
Old 17th Feb 2016, 6:37 pm   #29
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
There is a new version of the programme 'back in time for the weekend'.
This has been a bit different, this time the family did not have a TV in the 50's.
In 1960 they finally got a TV, a rather nice Philips TG1700U. I think the picture was added afterwards
I had to laugh when later in the decade it was showing a colour programme on Origami!

They finally got a colour telly in last night's episode, although I could not identify it due to the makers name being covered....

Mark
Old 17th Feb 2016, 7:11 pm   #30
Thyristor
Pentode

A really nice series, I've watched and enjoyed all of them so far, although I preferred the other family.
I noticed they had a Roberts RM50 in their 70s 'lounge' and a nice touch was the colour tv being delivered by their uncle, who was a manager at Currys in the 70s.
Old 17th Feb 2016, 7:46 pm   #31
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyristor View Post
a nice touch was the colour tv being delivered by their uncle, who was a manager at Currys in the 70s.
Pity he was trying to hurt his back. They didn't tell him to carry it with the tube face towards him. Seen lots of back problems caused by this and several dropped sets damaged beyond economic repair.
Old 17th Feb 2016, 8:25 pm   #32
hamid_1
Heptode

I've also been watching and enjoying the "Back in Time for the Weekend" series so far (didn't see the Christmas one).

There were a few minor mistakes, as pointed out in the Radio Times, in the '50s episode, Daisy plays a record "Rock Around The Clock" by Bill Haley on her father's radiogram. But the disc was the "Ace Of Hearts" reissue, which came out in 1961 ...

In the '60s episode, their black and white TV miraculously displayed a colour picture (the programme about Origami). Actually this happens a lot these days - TV shows and music videos often show colour images on old monochrome TVs with rotary tuners. Few people have used a black and white TV in the last 30 years, and most younger people will have never seen one, so it's easy to forget they ever existed.

In last night's show (repeated this coming Saturday on BBC2) the family start the 1970s with the same black and white TV that they had in the '60s. Then they get a credit card and make their first purchase on it - a new colour TV! A relative of theirs, who worked at Currys in the 1970s, delivers and installs their new set. Great - but the TV actually says "GRANADA COLOUR" so it couldn't have come from Currys - and I expect it would have been rented, not bought.

Otherwise it seems fairly authentic. The colour TV looks just like this one http://www.radios-tv.co.uk/1970-hmv-2703/ - a BRC 3000 from 1970. The production company must have gone to some trouble to source a lot of working restored vintage items - they've even provided some vintage clothing for the family!
Old 17th Feb 2016, 11:40 pm   #33
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Did anyone spot the KB CVC1 shown on some period VT during the 70's program advertising the electronic tennis game?

Cheers
Old 18th Feb 2016, 12:46 am   #34
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

This new version was better than I expected in many respects with some interesting technical inserts. The most authentic part of this sort of program is quite often the family that they select, who are usually so unimaginative and unquestioning that they portray the period attitudes very accurately! I suppose that the production team find this much easier to get right than the technology which will be, largely, a mystery to them and more significant in it's overall look than it's provenance-especially with endless opportunities to get things wrong.
Dave W
Old 18th Feb 2016, 10:24 pm   #35
Restoration73
Nonode

The "TV Factory" film was of the Thorn plant, the sets shown were the 900/950 chassis.
So, 1964-1968.
Old 18th Feb 2016, 10:53 pm   #36
ntscuser
Hexode

Can anyone identify the model?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-1064-10-08-14h54m43s466.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	120280   Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-1071-08-23-02h00m36s907.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	120281   Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-8557-07-04-16h12m00s683.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	120282   Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-9211-03-21-16h53m03s220.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	120283   Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-6515-05-28-03h20m44s996.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	120284  

Old 19th Feb 2016, 9:38 am   #37
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscuser View Post
Can anyone identify the model?
The first chassis is the 960 16" transportable version of the second chassis, which is the Thorn 950.
Old 19th Feb 2016, 10:52 am   #38
wireless_john
Heptode

That's interesting. There was a television factory about half a mile from where I live in Gosport. When I first came here it was called Ultra and then went on to be Thorn-EMI.

They had an open day once and we went for a visit and watched them making Ferguson televisions. Sadly, long gone now. The office buildings are still visible from the road (A32) but have been renovated and covered in solar panels. The rest of the site is an industrial estate called Fareham Reach.

Although I don't know any personally, many people living around here were employed there at one time and even they must be getting on a bit now.

John
Old 21st Feb 2016, 2:10 pm   #39
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
The first chassis is the 960 16" transportable version of the second chassis, which is the Thorn 950.
Thanks
Closed Thread