UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2005, 8:09 pm   #21
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: The BBC 1 Valver!

Hi Gents, part of the mystery solved, a search of my library revealed 2 books by Bradley, the original Radio for Boys, 1951, octal valves
IllustratedTeach Yourself RADIO 1965 same valve circuits but min bottles, also amps and transistors.

Also very similar booksby Gilbert Davey
Fun with electronics1962 min valved radios and amps plus transistors
Fun with transistors 1964 transistor amps radios etc.

I'll swop a photocopy of any of these for a copy of the short wave book.

Best regards, Ed
Old 22nd Jul 2005, 8:22 pm   #22
Aerodyne
Octode

Edwin N. Bradley was the author of the book I read as a youngster: I thought it was great then, dunno what it would read like now... very lucid and accessible writing, though. At least, it must have been - I understood it!

-Tony
should add: 1951, not the later version
Old 5th Aug 2005, 4:03 pm   #23
Ian G Bennett
Retired Dormant Member

Yes I must admit to building BBC 1 valver.
The valve I remember was the DAF91 which I later replaced with the DAF96 to reduce the 90V consumption.
The circuit diagram was only available by post from the BBC.
From memory I think it was two pages.
Simple to build as long as you kept the HT away from the heaters otherwise a very bright light and an expensive mistake.
Probably about £1.00 which was a lot of money around the late 50's
Old 5th Aug 2005, 4:47 pm   #24
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Hi all, well after a recent visit to Ed Dinning, I now have confirmed that the Radio for Boys book is the book I remember from school, and although I didn't build all the circuits in it at the time (probably lack of funds), I am now tempted to try the others. Thanks Ed. Does anyone remember a book by David Gibson, titled "Radio" probably printed in the Seventies which had various circuits to try including a transistor superhet circuit using Denco coils which you had to plug in to change band? I think it used OC170's in the front end which had an RF amplifier stage and OC45's in the IF. I did try to build one at the time but sadly my knowledge didn't stretch to getting it working, and my funds didn't stretch to buying more than one set of Denco coils. Happy times, and I'm still daft enough to build them. As my better half says "why bother building them when you can buy a one from a shop which a)looks better, b)performs better, and c) doesn't risk burning the house down!

Biggles.
Old 6th Feb 2007, 9:16 pm   #25
Norm_N_Tam
Triode

Lightbulb Re: The BBC 1 Valver!

Does this look like the BBC 1 Valver?

http://vintageradio.me.uk/kits/repanco_1valve.htm
Old 6th Feb 2007, 10:16 pm   #26
johnlees
Hexode

No, that's the Repanco One-Valver one of which I reconstructed earlier last year - see Success Stories 27th. Feb. 2006. There is a picture of my reconstruction there somewhere.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=7710

Last edited by johnlees; 6th Feb 2007 at 10:20 pm. Reason: Add cross-reference
Old 7th Feb 2007, 1:44 pm   #27
Aerodyne
Octode

More on 'The BBC OFFICIAL One Valver'. PW offered a list of blueprints for sale inside the back cover and included 'The BBC Special(sic) One-Valver'. As a 12 year old, I thought it sounded interesting so I sent for it. It turned out to be 'official' rather than 'special' and had been published by - I think - Popular Wireless, one of PW's take-overs, so they ended up with the blueprint stock. Early 30's or even late 20's and no use to me in the early 1950s!
Wish I'd kept the blueprint, though. Eventually I built the
Modern 1-valver as described in PW, 1954. Octal 1N5. Great fun!
-Tony
Old 7th Feb 2007, 10:48 pm   #28
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Does anyone remember a book by David Gibson, titled "Radio" probably printed in the Seventies which had various circuits to try including a transistor superhet circuit using Denco coils which you had to plug in to change band?
Just sent a copy of this book to Paul Stenning so that he can scan it (or at least the important bits) for the main website.

Rich.
Old 8th Feb 2007, 11:50 am   #29
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Hi Rich, glad someone else has seen a copy of this book. I'd be very interested in a copy of that if it becomes available. I seem to remember that the bits cost an arm and a leg at the time when on pocketmoney.

Biggles.
Old 8th Feb 2007, 12:06 pm   #30
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I will gladly put it (or any book etc of interest) on my site, as long as it is out of print, has been for several years and is unlikely to be reprinted (which is obviously the case here). Either send me scans or post me the book. Send me a PM to sort out the details.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th Feb 2007, 10:56 pm   #31
Peter16
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbulb View Post
The book I'm thinking of was by a chap called Gilbert Davey, and is called 'Fun with Radio'
I've just managed to buy a second hand copy, and it has a range of circuits in it starting with simple one valvers.
Ahh, the memories of childhood....I built one or two of these circuits and they worked quite well.

Regards

Philip
I had a copy of this book when I was 13, I seem to remember that on at least one circuit he used a mains valve with a lantern battery for the heater and a really low HT voltage. I never really understood why he did not use a battery valve. Can anyone else remember this of is it just my imagination?
Old 7th May 2008, 9:01 pm   #32
yesnaby
Octode

Default BBC One Valve Radio.

Hello,

Is there any way to obtain the BBC leaflet for the one-valve project aired thereon in 1957?

Would the BBC 'script archives' department be able or willing to help? Mine was lost many moons ago!

Michael
Closed Thread