UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2016, 7:07 am   #1
martyjames
Tetrode

Default Thom And Smith President-Motorola battery-electric Model 46 valve radio schematic

I just purchased this amazing radio. Inside the radio it says it was manufactured here in Australia by Thom and Smith under licence from Motorola. I've done a search but can't find a reference to it and wonder if anyone has a schematic or further details on the set.

Thanks

Marty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio pic.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	119519  
Old 4th Feb 2016, 9:47 am   #2
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Re: Thom And Smith PRESIDENT-MOTOROLA BATTERY-ELECTRIC MODEL46 VALVE TUBE RADIO schem

That is lovely

I'm guessing, is the handle an antenna?

SEAN
Old 4th Feb 2016, 10:18 am   #3
Station X

Default Re: Thom And Smith PRESIDENT-MOTOROLA BATTERY-ELECTRIC MODEL46 VALVE TUBE RADIO schem

Could this be it?

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/thomand...tasma_m46.html

There are several president Radios listed on the Radio Museum site, but few pictures.

There is a reference to a book "Australian Official Radio Service Manual Vol. XIV " containing the circuit diagram.

http://www.vintage-radio.com/reviews/australian-cd.html

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 4th Feb 2016, 10:37 am   #4
martyjames
Tetrode

Hi Sean - yes the handle rotates and has an antenna built in - how cool is that?

Thanks Graham - i think it is the President Tasma M46 . Re the 2nd link - i cant see where it says it has that schematic?

It actually does work (the description says it only produces static)/ The condition is excellent, an amazing set I think and am keen to find out more - it was made less than 10km from where i live!
Old 4th Feb 2016, 10:46 am   #5
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyjames View Post
Thanks Graham - i think it is the President Tasma M46 . Re the 2nd link - I cant see where it says it has that schematic?
The link is about a CDROM which contains the schematic. Perhaps if you email the supplier he might be willing to supply you with a circuit for your radio?

Old 4th Feb 2016, 11:26 am   #6
martyjames
Tetrode

Thanks Graham - this is a great radio forum by the way - everyone is very helpful and theres some great reading here

cheers
Old 6th Feb 2016, 12:21 pm   #7
martyjames
Tetrode

I got the schematic for this radio. I made up a 90V battery pack from 10 x PP3 9V batteries today. Question - can you 'zap' yourself (get an electric shock) from such a battery pack - I know current is the killer. The set does run on AC but I feel safer working on a set running off batteries. Thanks
Old 6th Feb 2016, 12:39 pm   #8
Station X

You might just feel it, but as you say the current is limited. I can't detect much below about 75V by touch, but it depends on the individual.

Old 6th Feb 2016, 12:50 pm   #9
martyjames
Tetrode

Default Re: Thom And Smith President-Motorola battery-electric Model 46 valve radio schematic

Thanks Graham
Old 8th Feb 2016, 1:10 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Thom And Smith President-Motorola battery-electric Model 46 valve radio schematic

90V of PP3s probably won't hurt you if you're dry and cool, but get a bit sweaty and watch out! There's more than enough current available to be dangerous- 50mA can be lethal and rather less extremely painful.

As you say, it's the current that's the problem and once skin resistance is down, the human body is only about 1K from end to end. It's not called "wetware" for no reason.

So- treat it with the same respect as any other HT supply!

There's some interesting stuff on youtube about one guy's antics with a few hundred half dead PP3s in series
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Feb 2016, 2:31 am   #11
martyjames
Tetrode

thanks herald - caution taken - cheers
Closed Thread