UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2019, 5:12 pm   #1
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Akai 1710 and 1719W mains cables

I have an Akai 1710 which has a 3 core mains cable and I have just purchased a 1719W which only has a 2 core mains cable should it be left like that or should I put a 3 core cable on it
Old 14th Nov 2019, 7:02 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Akai 1710 and 1719W mains cables

I can't find anything about your latest find Dorian but why would you change anything The bulk of more modern equipment doesn't have an earth so I'm guessing there are no concerns. Does it work?

There are often issues of safety re the much earlier AC/DC equipment but that shouldn't apply here I'm thinking [You said you had a reasonable amount of experience with electronics at one point so I'm assuming you know what I mean about live chassis sets.]

Dave W
Old 14th Nov 2019, 8:30 pm   #3
Dorian27
Heptode

Hi Dave W thanks for the reply. It is not a 1719W model, fingers too quick on the pad. It is a 1710W. I am fairly up on electrical items but not always sure. I just wondered why two similar models should have different mains cables.? Yes they both are working OK at the moment. Thanks again.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 7:24 am   #4
saxmaniac
Heptode

If it was mine I'd put 3 core cable on. You've got plenty of items at mains voltage attached to the chassis. I've got or owned 4 of these over the years and all were earthed
Old 18th Nov 2019, 12:28 am   #5
unitelex
Hexode

I recently repaired a 1720W which had a 2 core mains cable.
The main problem was electrolytic ageing causing imbalanced L+R audio.
The owner also mentioned some moderate hum problem and wanted it minimizing.
While working on it I also noticed some AC leakage to the chassis, which was not nice.
I tried swapping the live and neutral connections in the plug ( the cable had 2 brown wires IIRC so no polarity marking ) After swapping the hum was greatly reduced and the leakage to the chassis disappeared.
This set had signs that it might have spent some time in a damp garage. So I guessed the leakage was internal to the transformer and it needed to dry out.
I agree with Saxmaniac, it would be better with a 3 core mains cable.

Chris
Old 18th Nov 2019, 1:10 am   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Based on direct experience Chris, you and Saxman have certainly put up a good "case" for an earth lead. I hadn't realised there could be leakage. This question chimes a little with the [AC/DC] Premier Radio Earthing thread. I mentioned there that those sort of sets didn't have an earth or polarity markings on the mains leads as they worked either way. It's not the same as an AC/DC arrangement though as that wasn't at all compatible with Tape Recorders with and their external inputs and outputs to microphones etc.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 18th Nov 2019 at 1:17 am.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 1:04 pm   #7
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian27 View Post
Hi Dave W thanks for the reply.It is not a 1719W model fingers to quick on the pad .It is a 1710W .I am fearly up on electrical items but not always sure .I just wondered why two similar models should have different mains cables.Yes they both are working ok at the moment. Thanks again
Perhaps a prievous owner changed it.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 4:04 pm   #8
julie_m
Dekatron

Is it possible the two machines were originally destined for different markets?

Perhaps the 2-wire one was meant for mainland Europe where they have many 2-pin plugs, and the 3-wire one was meant for the UK or Australia.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 8:57 pm   #9
Restoration73
Nonode

Changes were due to market legislation. Initial markets e.g. US/Canada testing houses
UL/CSA would have been satisfied with 2 core fig 8 unsheathed flex, although Akai had
adjustable voltage selector. Any leakage which was not compatible with standards for
double insulated items, including single pole mains switch, and fig 8 cable, would not be
passed by VDE (Germany) and others, so this led to sheathed mains cable and double
pole mains switches. Of course when all equipment had a 3 core flex, it was sometimes
necessary to leave the earth wire floating to avoid hum loops.
Old 19th Nov 2019, 9:05 am   #10
saxmaniac
Heptode

There's no way these could be considered double insulated. The comments on leaky caps and damp in mains transformners says it all.
Old 19th Nov 2019, 2:08 pm   #11
Techman
Dekatron

I can't see where anybody on this thread has ever suggested that these machines were supposed to be double insulated.
Old 21st Nov 2019, 1:56 pm   #12
saxmaniac
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
I can't see where anybody on this thread has ever suggested that these machines were supposed to be double insulated.
No, nor can I! Ignore me, I'm going a bit do day!
Closed Thread