UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2011, 5:01 pm   #1
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Default AC Millivolt Meter

I have an AC millivolt meter that I built many many years ago from a design in one of the "Practical" mags (Probably PW), from the early 1960's. It uses 5 BC108's, plus another in a probe.

The range switch covers 6 ranges from 3mV to 1V, and there is another switch which is a range multiplier, either X1 or X10. It also has a plug in probe which I am guessing, since it appears to be an emitter follower,, might extend the range to 10Volts.

I dragged it out the other day since I have a spare 100uA meter which I am planning to use to replace the original, which is quite small since it was all I could afford at the time.

Luckily I have a hand drawn copy of the circuit, however I was wondering if anyone had the original article from the magazine they could scan for me.

David
Old 10th Jul 2011, 10:35 pm   #2
KeithsTV
Nonode

Default Re: AC Millivolt Meter

I remember it well as I actually built it. I've recently found the remains of it and am trying to resurect it.

Anyway here's the article.

Keith
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PE Aug66 AC millivoltmeter.PDF (1.13 MB, 351 views)
Old 10th Jul 2011, 11:53 pm   #3
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
I remember it well as I actually built it. I've recently found the remains of it and am trying to resurect it.

Anyway here's the article.

Keith
Wow! thanks for the article.

When I left the UK for Canada I had to dispose of a lot of things, but I had kept all the Mags which were of interest. While in Canada we had a flood in the basement and I lost most of my papers, not to mention an oscilloscope.

Now I am retired I am getting back into various things, and inspired by this forum I am again into valves, and transistors and recently built the ESR meter I found in another thread.

I originally bought a 100uA meter for the ESR project, as I could not find a 50uA one, but the very next day I found one and so I now have a 100uA meter looking for a project. Which is where the AC mV meter came into the picture.

Thanks once again
David
Old 11th Jul 2011, 5:47 pm   #4
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Here are some pictures of my unit, one with the original meter and the other with the new meter. The new meter is just sitting there, it's not installed yet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2614.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	53791   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2618.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	53792  
Closed Thread