UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2010, 10:20 pm   #1
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Valve curve tracer

Hi Gents, as there is a lot of interest in valve testers, try this circuit for size. A valve curve tracer from Electronic Engineering in the 50's.
Full details can be provided if any one wishes to build it (and has a good stock of uniselectors)

Ed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf curve tracer.pdf (103.2 KB, 286 views)
Old 13th Jan 2010, 11:08 pm   #2
glowinganode
Octode

Default Re: Valve curve tracer

Interesting design, any chance of some more detail on the power supply section? I assume this unit was used with a CRO.
Thanks, Rob.
Old 14th Jan 2010, 1:33 am   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Lightbulb Re: Valve curve tracer

A thought . . .

At a glance, most of the (highly complicated-looking) switchery seems to perform 'selection' functions. Therefore, I wonder if some brave soul would care to undertake a modern version, using logic gates (data selectors, multiplexers, etc.) for this part of it and the necessary TTL to HV level translation interfaces?

Al. / Skywave.
Old 14th Jan 2010, 6:24 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

This is almost a candidate for building a computerised version.

You'd need a D-to-A converter and some op-amp signal conditioning to apply a variable negative voltage to the grid, some relays as a "high-voltage D-A converter" to apply a voltage to the anode (or would this be do-able with semiconductors?), and an isolation amplifier and A-to-D converter to measure the anode current.

It's a real shame the old ISA bus went extinct, because it was so easy to interface to. (Part of me thinks that was a factor in its demise, can't have plebs making stuff that plugs into a PC, oh no.)
Old 14th Jan 2010, 8:35 pm   #5
brianc
Rest in Peace

The switch labelled "Selector Unit" is a uniselector is it not? It must make a real row when it motors. The lever-key switch to the left of the selector looks as though it will step it or in the other position it brings in a relay "oscillator" which will cause the selector to motor! As is said in earlier posts, a real candidate for logic-izing!
Cheers
Brian
Old 14th Jan 2010, 9:25 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, I'll try to get some scans of the full system to post. It is from the Aug 1956 edition of Electronic Engineering and runs to several pages. The author was from min of transport and civil aviation.
A CRT unit (possibly ex-radar) was used for the display. Various uniselectors to step the voltages to the electrodes.
There were several good articles on valve technology in these magazines over the years, does anyone else have copies?

Ed
Old 15th Jan 2010, 10:08 pm   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, attached the full article for any brave soul to attempt (I may even have some spare uniselectors!

Ed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf curve tracer2.pdf (734.8 KB, 251 views)
Closed Thread