UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Dec 2015, 12:02 pm   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Valve FM Radio

Is it possible to make an FM radio that works by slope-detection and has as few parts as possible? Can you use an EF91 as I have plenty needing employment.
Old 9th Dec 2015, 12:22 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Valve FM Radio

Don't see why not, Neil. The hybrid Pye colour TV used this method and it worked well.
Old 9th Dec 2015, 12:52 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

"Few parts" tends to imply limited selectivity, so the slope may be somewhat flat and the audio low. Recalling the days when people were using old RT gear on 2m, it was still possible to copy narrow-band FM on a AM Rx, but then the latter was probably quite selective.

B
Old 9th Dec 2015, 1:42 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It's actually possible to make a "FM Crystal set" - you use slope-detection but you need a *seriously* high-Q tuned-circuit at the broadcast-station's frequency to get a steep-enough 'slope'. This is usually a copper-tube 'organ-pipe' resonant cavity or a 'Lecher-line' like approach.
Old 9th Dec 2015, 2:14 pm   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

Why not go for a super-regen design? Several single-valve circuits available with a google search.
Old 9th Dec 2015, 8:18 pm   #6
milaiosifsorin
Diode

Single valve FM superregen with PCL200.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFm-YD2n8-k
Old 9th Dec 2015, 9:17 pm   #7
ParcGwyn
Hexode

What about a pulse counting design, EF91s would probably ideal. This site http://members.iinet.net.au/~cool386/ has some nice designs for FM receivers including a single valve loudspeaker regent set.
Old 24th Dec 2015, 8:09 pm   #8
Trevor
Octode

There is an EF91 pulse counting set in the archive I did it
Trev
Old 24th Dec 2015, 9:49 pm   #9
Wellington
Hexode

Smile Re: Valve FM Radio

I think the set to which Trevor refers is the one he built here.
Old 25th Dec 2015, 6:48 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I remember playing around with similar circuits in the early-1970s.

The big problem I found was that the local-oscillator was so close to the signal-frequency, and coupled with the lack of any sane RF selectivity a really strong signal within a few MHz of the signal you wanted to receive could result in an unwanted pulling or even a 'PLL lock' action and the LO would 'latch' to the strong local signal. Annoying when you're trying to listen to weak continential stations and the BBC are pushing out fat signals a few hundred KHz either side.

A bit like the similar issue with superregens.

My answer was to operate the LO on half the required frequency and follow it with a cathode-follower/frequency-doubler [a 12AT7 will do both functions in one 'bottle'] which did away entirely with the pulling issue.
Old 30th Dec 2015, 3:22 am   #11
Synchrodyne
Nonode

For information on very simple FM receivers with slope demodulators, etc., and comment upon their actual performance (or lack thereof), perhaps look at BBC Research Report 1951/7, “Test Report on Three Simple V.H.F. Adaptors made in Germany for the Reception of Frequency Modulation Transmissions in the 90 Mc/s Band”, available here: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1951-07.pdf.

Some schematics were included in the report, and I imagine that the circuit using a pair of EF41 might be replicable using the Z77 (EF91) instead.

Cheers,
Closed Thread