UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2005, 8:43 pm   #1
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Choosing cartridge output.

Hi guys,

I find myself needing to replace the cartridge in a record player, but when and how would I determine whether to use and H type or an M type ? ...... as in X5H and X5M ( it seems these are now discontinued and I have to obtain an SC12H or SC12M stereo job ). We're looking at a record player with a single UL84 o/p valve here.
Old 25th Mar 2005, 9:16 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pick-up cartridges

Hi Darren, For a single valve UL84 amp you really need an "H" type (high output) cartridge, The "M" type, (medium output) cartridges are better suited to those players using two stages of amplification, such as the UCL82 etc. .

The BSR X5H seems to be listed here:-

http://www.classicalandjazz.co.uk/Stylus/A_-_B.htm

Regards, Mick.

Last edited by mickjjo; 25th Mar 2005 at 9:26 pm.
Old 25th Mar 2005, 9:45 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Pick-up cartridges

Thanks Mick. I usually use either Diamondstylus or Musonic but both list the X5H as discontinued. I had looked at the site for which you gave the link, but am wary because the X5H - although listed - does not have a BIN beside it. I got caught here once before; my money was taken from Paypal and later I received a message saying what I'd ordered wasn't currently available and I ended up waiting almost a month.

I can just as easily use an SC12H and these are slimmer than the X5 types so may be more suited to the pick-up head I'm to fit it into.
Closed Thread