UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2019, 4:59 pm   #1
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Default HMV 2011 radiogram low sound

Hi.
I just Gota= a hmv 2011 record player it has UA 8 bsr turntable with LP/78 flip over stylus
i've noticed that when playing records the sound is not VERY loud when up to full volume yet if you switch to the radio is is quite loud
I was wondering if it needs a new cartridge or is it a valve problem
also should the radio panel light up?
I also noticed that this model has 4 wires yet 2 connected for mono,therefoe can you relace the cartridge with bsr stereo compatible one or a mono one such bsr x5 M?
alll advice appreciated
Old 7th Dec 2019, 6:32 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: HMV 2011 radiogram low sound

You can check to see if the cartridge is faulty, by gently pulling back the insulating sleeves from the terminals at the back of the pickup, then performing a 'buzz' test i.e., with the player turned on and its volume control set at or near maximum. Touching one of the two pickup leads with your finger should produce a loud buzz in the speaker. If so, the cartridge is faulty, but if no buzz is heard, the fault is more likely in the Radio/gram switching or the wiring between the pickup and the function switch. In any case if you intend playing stereo records on the 2011, then the existing mono cartridge should be replaced with a stereo compatible type.
Old 7th Dec 2019, 6:51 pm   #3
Techman
Dekatron

He says that the sound is just not very loud, not no sound at all. I still think it's likely to be the cartridge though. There's also likely to be the odd critical capacitor that will need replacing in the output stage to prevent the eventual magic smoke from appearing. There's lots of information on both replacing cartridges, stereo to mono and mono to stereo types and their wiring, and also those capacitors on the forum if you are prepared to take time out to do a search and have a read.
Old 7th Dec 2019, 7:14 pm   #4
John10b
Nonode

Further to above and in answer to part of your question.
Yes the two dial lights should work ( there are two connected in series, 12V 0.1amp ), according to the circuit diagram.
The original cartridge is shown as BSR TC8M, you can obtain a used TC8S from the Stylus Lady, but remember to follow the advice given to you before deciding to try another one.
John
Old 7th Dec 2019, 7:41 pm   #5
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

thanks for all your advice.
yes john there is no light on the radio dials and was wondering can these lights be purchased?
I'm wondering if a ronnette flip over be a good replacement?
Old 7th Dec 2019, 10:02 pm   #6
John10b
Nonode

Yes the bulbs are available, suggest you try Cricklewoodelectronics.com. The code for your bulbs is MS121.
Regarding the Cartridge, I’m hesitant to recommend any particular Cartridge as there have been many various views expressed about suitability. Hopefully other members will comment.
John
Old 8th Dec 2019, 3:24 am   #7
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

als John i looked inside the back panel and can't see where the light bulb is, i was wondering if there is a diagram or photo of where to locate it?
Old 8th Dec 2019, 10:56 am   #8
John10b
Nonode

I have attached a diagram showing the location of the two bulbs, I hope that helps.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7318D71A-0810-43E1-957F-BBAB0F4D66CA.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	195033  
Old 8th Dec 2019, 8:34 pm   #9
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

thanks for that john and everyone who gave advice
Old 11th Dec 2019, 10:50 am   #10
PaulR
Dekatron

I have had good results from a repro stereo Ronette turnover cartridge but others have not found them to be good. Maybe there were different batches of them and some were better than others. The case and bracket of the repro ones is much cruder than the originals and this can make them tricky to mount in such a way that the turnover "flag" does not touch the record.

The actual cartridge can be fitted into the bracket of an original one including using the original flag. This makes it easier to mount and looks much better.

I would not recommend buying a NOS one. I did this and the compliance was very bad, presumably because the internal mounting rubber had gone hard.

If you don't mind sacrificing some originality and won't be playing 78 rpm records there are new stereo ceramic cartridges available on ebay for around £12-£13. Make sure you get one with a mounting bracket if you go down that route.

As Techman says it will need some electrical repairs before being used or you will have wasted your money on the cartridge.

Last edited by PaulR; 11th Dec 2019 at 11:03 am.
Old 11th Dec 2019, 11:20 am   #11
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
You can check to see if the cartridge is faulty, by gently pulling back the insulating sleeves from the terminals at the back of the pickup, then performing a 'buzz' test i.e., with the player turned on and it's volume control set at or near maximum. Touching one of the two pickup leads with your finger should produce a loud buzz in the speaker. If so, the cartridge is faulty, but if no buzz is heard, the fault is more likely in the Radio/gram switching or the wiring between the pickup and the function switch. In any case if you intend playing stereo records on thr 2011, then the existing mono cartridge should be replaced with a stereo compatible type.
Be aware (if not already) that this is a live chassis set. The pickup signal leads have blocking capacitors but the cable screen is connected to one side of the mains. Whether this is the line or neutral depends on the wiring of the mains plug!

If you do try the "buzz" test, use an insulated screwdriver or a length of insulated wire with a short strip at the business end to make contact with the signal leads, you don't want to be the "buzzer"

The said blocking capacitors, even if OK should be replaced by Y-class types unless they are marked as such already.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread