UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2019, 12:23 am   #1
bill knox
Hexode

Default Telephone curly leads

Hi

Not really a technical matter, but I have just watched a film on TV where they were using a telephone with a curly lead, this was a war film supposedly during 1943 and I was wondering when curly leads were introduced.

Bill
Old 12th Nov 2019, 7:28 am   #2
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Default Re: Telephone curly leads

The first one came to Norway around 1930-1932, and we are usually not early. (e.g. the touch tone phone became std. in 1982)

dsk
Old 12th Nov 2019, 9:32 am   #3
Andrew2
Nonode

I once asked the same question. A few years ago there was a supposedly genuine film of an 'alien autopsy' doing the rounds. It showed some 'surgeons' in white coats and masks investigating the dead body of 0ne of those 'grey' aliens with the big eyes. On the wall of the operating theatre was a phone with a curly wire and it just seemed wrong to me. The film was allegedly made in the late 40's.
The other giveaway was the 'film grain', which looked more like added electronic noise.
The film did indeed turn out to be fake. Surprise...
Old 12th Nov 2019, 5:01 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Curly-cords were certainly in use on US military equipment during WWII - I remember having just such a cord on a new, bagged, unissued carbon fist-microphone (oval diecast case about the size of a bar of soap, with a PTT button on the top) I bought from one of the surplus-stores in the 60s. I gather that this microphone was part of some sort of loudhailer/PA system on ships.
Old 13th Nov 2019, 9:03 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I have a 1950s telephone with a curly lead but it appears to be a tight cotton braid with a single strand of elasticated material running along side it: not the shiny plastic as on 700 series instruments and onwards.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread