UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2019, 9:20 pm   #1
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Default Boost the ringer current instead of ...

I made a system for making more ring power, and that will also fit the UK-system. The relay will almost draw nothing from the line, and the output to the third wire will not be affect the incoming ring power.

For UK I would suggest to add e 1.8 uF capacitor in series with the ring line, just because of the characteristics of the AC inverter.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/f...9848#msg229848

dsk
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 12:05 am   #2
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Boost the ringer current instead of ...

dag- BT had two alternatives, designed for use with systems ,mainly to drive an external bell.
One was a master size wall face plate with a transistor ringer in it, powered from a 50v feed from a system. The other was a mains driven converter ringer.
Possibly the blokes wh worked on BT systems in that era wil have more info .
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 7:21 am   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

In the days before I had my extensions hung off a PABX, I used a plug-in unit (with a REN of 1) which was presumably the converter referred to above. Its output supported of REN of up to 8, allowing a total of REN of 11 (inluding 3 connected direct to the incoming line).
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 4:07 pm   #4
dagskarlsen
Heptode

I just bilt it in lack of other solutions. I use it on a mobil phone adapter together with a dialgizmo. That solves my need for using old phones on that system.

dsk
Old 26th Aug 2019, 3:46 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have (I hope) attached a reverse-engineered (by me) circuit diagram of the ringer booster that was commonly sold in the UK some years ago (maybe BT-badged).

Note that the opto-isolator is a rather odd one with a very high current transfer ratio (ratio of LED current to output current). It will not work with just 'any old optoisolator'.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf REN_booster.pdf (458.7 KB, 160 views)
Old 6th Oct 2019, 1:41 pm   #6
dagskarlsen
Heptode

I have been working further on my circuit to just keep 2 wires.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/f...h=211423;image

dsk
Old 6th Oct 2019, 3:50 pm   #7
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
In the days before I had my extensions hung off a PABX, I used a plug-in unit (with a REN of 1) which was presumably the converter referred to above. Its output supported of REN of up to 8, allowing a total of REN of 11 (inluding 3 connected direct to the incoming line).
Dave - the one I referred to was fitted inside a full sized socket, with provision for a 50 supply from a BT SWITCH . Only markings I can find on any of the few I have is DPA/1448/A . 5 TRANSISTORS but no sign of an opto coupler.
Photo attached. The connector is marked (LH, from Top) DCBA and the right hand one 9 from top) 47v , bell( pair) and 0v .No protective diode in the power line, so if volts reversed ,R6 TENDED TO GET HOT. Wired up correctly it had more than enough power to drive an extension bell

Or there's the convertor ringing 2A ,ITEM CODE 375507, normally used with a key system to power an extension bell from extensions ( from memory) set to ring on an incoming call .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0424.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	191391  
Old 6th Oct 2019, 5:46 pm   #8
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagskarlsen View Post
I have been working further on my circuit to just keep 2 wires.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/f...h=211423;image

dsk
Just tested today, and yes it works, the excchange can not monitor the REN load.

Drawbacks:
1) polarity sensitive, does not accept reverse polarity.
2) The ring current continiues until the relay release.

dsk
Old 8th Oct 2019, 8:10 am   #9
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Now, I have been testing it out, and it had to be modified. It was to sensitive and could make trouble when dialing out, so I did put in another zener diode back to back wit the first one, and that solved the problem.

Mdified wiring diagram is here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/f...1742#msg231742

dsk
Closed Thread