UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Old 7th Dec 2019, 11:49 pm   #1
DianeDavies
Triode

Default BBC micro needs health check

I left the school I worked in with the BBC Master from my classroom, with the Headteacher's blessing, of course, to try to learn how to convert the educational programs to use on PC formats.

I failed utterly to get to grips with the task, but kept the machine, its peripherals, educational programs and even tractor feed paper. I have read posts about degradation of the disks, fails in disk drives, etc and am now certain that even if I start it up I will not be able to revive it should any faults have developed. (It has been stored indoors in sealed boxes.)

I need a BBC computer doctor to take it on and see if it will work or could be used for parts. Anyone out there? Diane Davies
DianeDavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2019, 1:18 am   #2
Andrew64
Pentode

Default Re: BBC micro needs health check

Hi Diane,

With it being stored indoors in sealed boxes it should not be in to bad a shape, damp and excessive changes in temperature are bad news.

The Master will need certain components checked/changed in it's power supply BEFORE it's turned on again. Other peripherals may need similar attention.

Exactly what other peripherals do you have?

I would be willing to look at it but I am in Kent so I'm sure there will be other people closer willing to take it on.

Again don't be tempted to turn any of it on before a competent person has checked it out for you.

Best regards,

Illegitimi non carborundum
Andrew64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2019, 12:07 pm   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

May need power supply refurb and new battery. Possibly battery may have caused some damage if it leaked. I spent a big chunk of the late 1990s emptying them out of schools, repairing them and selling them on but I don’t do this any more. I’ve heard good reviews for these guys though: https://retrofix.co.uk/
MrBungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2019, 4:20 pm   #4
Courtney Louise
Heptode

I could do this for you if you want to drop it down to Nuneaton.

Kindest

C
Old 8th Dec 2019, 5:04 pm   #5
DianeDavies
Triode

Thank you Andrew64 and Mr Bungle, especially the advice about getting it checked before turning it on and the battery point! I wouldn't have thought of those points, I was more aware thanks to the forum on 5.75 disks about degradation of same! I'll check out the link you sent Mr Bungle. Peripherals include a tractor feed epson printer, a double disk drive and a board that is activated by touching individual spaces. I'm not sure what you would call it but we used it for children with special needs and the more able to write simple adventure games or storyboards. I also set it up to interface with a database for datahandling. And of course last but not least a CUB RGB monitor!

I have a genius for a husband, he recalls that it was a "concept Keyboard". I couldn't even find it on Wikipedia's BBC computer pages, yet it must have been a precursor to the touch screens of today!
Diane
DianeDavies is offline   Reply With Quote