UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2019, 6:59 pm   #1
its ur aerial
Hexode

Default RJ11 lead (actually BT 431A)

Been asked by an acquaintance were he can purchase a RJ11 to bare ends lead, he wants to connect a mechanical dial type phone his current BT socket.
Any info appreciated.

Ken G6HZG
Old 29th Oct 2019, 7:12 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Rj11 lead

A BT socket isn't RJ11 - it's a "431A" connector.

I suspect what your correspondent needs is a "Cord 4/502" - which has a BT plug one end and spade-connectors the other (for connection to the tagstrip inside the phone).

They used to be available from RS but it's decades since I bought one.
Old 29th Oct 2019, 7:16 pm   #3
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I'm confused. If the bare ends are to go into the telephone it needs a BT plug on the other end rather than an RJ11.

Such things are called Line Cords and are widely available from e-Bay and other places such as https://www.britphone.net/product-ca...n-line-cables/

If it really IS RJ11 to bare ends the easiest thing would be to get a cable with a plug at both ends and cut one off.
Old 29th Oct 2019, 7:41 pm   #4
its ur aerial
Hexode

Many thanks, for the replies, sorry thought the BT plug was a RJ11.
Ken G6HZG
Old 29th Oct 2019, 11:23 pm   #5
Oldcodger
Nonode

Possibly the confusion has occured as most modern teles have an RJ11 sockets to accept a BT plug to RJ11 plug .
I used to use this sort of cable to connect Panasonic 308/616, used units to a krone strip, by cutting off the BT plug. in your case it's cut off the R11 plug .
Some of these cables have man made fibres inserted in the wires , but it's easy to IDC to a krone strip. but if soldering ( and I'd suggest that this is easiest way to connect this lead to screw terminals, then - expose a decent length of the individual wires. strip back a length of insulation and remove. Then remove about 6mm of insulation and move to end of wire. Twist wire, add some flux and tin the exposed wire. Cut off the now melted insulation and the wire is now suitable to go under a screw terminal, or get crimped/soldered to a spade terminal . It might take a bit of practice, but it's possible.
The leads used to be available at telephone shops on the high street.
Old 30th Oct 2019, 9:15 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
... strip back a length of insulation and remove. Then remove about 6mm of insulation and move to end of wire.
Beware when removing insulation from individual wires that some are very thin and easily cut/broken during the operation. Sometimes the only way I manage to strip the insulation while keeping the wire intact is to melt the insulation.

I take the advice to keep the stripped insulation on the wire until after applying solder to be to keep the strands together until they're firmly soldered to each other. This seems sound advice.
Old 31st Oct 2019, 9:31 am   #7
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: RJ11 lead

It was the advice with "tinsel wire" used on coiled microphone cables that you should strip a gap in the insulation as described, leaving the wire ends inside to keep them all together, then over wind in the gap using fine tinned copper wire (~40SWG).
Finally tin the lot with solder. Now the spare insulation can be cut from the end.

I found it worked like a charm.
Old 1st Nov 2019, 12:23 am   #8
Oldcodger
Nonode

I've found over the years that treating on solid telephone wiring as being of the type with some wire with a material insert works well. it's simply pull the plastic insulation to the end, twist and then tin ( and in doing so get rid of the inter wire threads).
Old 21st Jan 2020, 10:04 am   #9
Test Desk
Tetrode

On the rare occasions I have terminated tinsel wire under a screw+washer, I stripped the insulation further back to expose the wire but kept the insulation on the end to prevent fraying.
I've never had any luck with tinsel wire in Krone strips. They're intended for solid conductors. I looked after a hotel where this had been done and spent a lot of time there with intermittent connection issues.
On another occasion, Mercury C L had been to one of "my" PABXs and kroned their "least cost routing" connection into Krones that already got 2pairs in, and I had the same issues . Krones only work properly for 2 pairs even of they are all the same gauge conductors.
Old 21st Jan 2020, 2:16 pm   #10
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Ebay is your friend.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-METER-B...0AAOSwlmxdJLQD
Closed Thread