UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2019, 8:57 pm   #1
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Panasonic KX-TEA308E PABX

I've just dug a couple of these little analogue PABX's out from the 'Stores' where they haven't been used for a couple of years. I've had them for a good few years (ten at least) and I find that the 3 volt button cell which retains the programming memory settings seem to have 'died'.

Does anyone know of a source of them?

Most of the dealers have moved on to VoIP and as the system is not longer supplied by Panasonic after a run of a good few years there doesn't seem much chance from them. The 3v button cell/s have 'legs' attached to it - all the similar ones don't have the 'legs' :-( It appears to be a Panasonic CR2354 - plenty of legless ones! Not much info on the internet.

Also it was possible to run the PBX from a pair of 12 volt car type batteries - anyone know a source of the leads - Backup Battery Cable (KX-A227) ??

To be used to convert DTMF incoming from an ATA to pulse dialling and vice-versa when operating in remote locations running phones off CNet.
Old 30th Jul 2019, 9:04 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic KX-TEA308E PABX

RS do them, either in vertical standup or horizontal flat-to-pcb variety.
Old 30th Jul 2019, 9:05 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Will these do? Quite expensive, but definitely has legs / pins (3) - you didn't make it clear whether it was a two pin or three pin type you were after.

https://www.batterycity.co.uk/panaso...1gu-1-stk-4752
Old 30th Jul 2019, 9:28 pm   #4
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Managed to find the button cell with legs but no joy yet with the backup battery lead :-(

Thanks for response. Odd they didn't come up in the searches before posting. Farnells do them at nearly half the price but none available before November :-(
Old 30th Jul 2019, 9:33 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

the last one I had (internal lead acid lead for a DBS) I found the connector and made one up myself. Do you want to try that, and if so do you have a closeup of the connector on the pabx so it might be recognised? AFAIK it's just a plug, a cable with inline fuseholder and a couple of lugs.
Old 31st Jul 2019, 6:56 pm   #6
dagskarlsen
Heptode

I did as Kevin, any 2 cell NiCd will do the job.

dsk
Old 24th Sep 2019, 10:58 pm   #7
Oldcodger
Nonode

The Panasonic part number ( from a spare I have kicking around) is (G??)P-01H-F2G1. the individual cells are .558 DIA X 68 ,with the package measuring 1.12" x .7 .From memory, the critical factor is the diameter to fit in the space provided .
Again ,from memory, the backup battery was the same one used on the whole Panasonic range some years ago .
Old 25th Sep 2019, 6:17 pm   #8
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Farnell's have them at £1.65 each - correct model is Panasonic CR-2354/VCN (part number from one in the KXTEA308E) - has two 'legs' identical to the original one in the PBX See https://uk.farnell.com/panasonic-ele...nasonic CR2354
Old 26th Sep 2019, 9:58 pm   #9
Oldcodger
Nonode

As fitted to the KXT 308 I worked on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0423[1].jpg
Views:	96
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	190868  
Old 27th Sep 2019, 11:29 am   #10
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Showing your age The KXT308 dates from late 1980's whereas the KX-TEA308 came out around 2005. The backup battery on KX-TEA308 that I was asking about is the button cell soldered in - as in the Farnell link.

Was the thought that the more modern systems wouldn't be around beyond the life of the battery?

You've only got to look at how a Raspberry Pi - little bigger than a box of long matches - can handle more lines that a former GPO rural exchange and provide far more facilities ! My system has over 250 lines working off it that terminate in fifteen countries. How things change! To think that over 20% of the GPO's exchanges were still manual when I started out as one of 'God's Poor Orphans' all those years ago but luckily have kept up with technology. Commissioned the exchange that went straight from manual to electronic and senior commissioning engineer on the UK's first large electronic exchange in the early 1970's and now they've all long gone! Now I just have several ex-GPO exchanges ranging from small manual magneto and CBS manual ones through an early Strowger one from the 1920's to the last step-by-step 'Strowger' system that survived in public service until July 1995 plus the VoIP Raspberry Pi system connected to the worldwide CNet (Collectors Network).
Closed Thread