UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2018, 6:14 pm   #41
Keith
Heptode

Default Re: Modeline problem

Hmm - it appears that there are two variants of this card with the same basic part number. One with DMS-59 and one with DVI-I (which seem to be in the majority on Ebay at present). Guess which one I got! (Buyer beware).
Old 5th Apr 2018, 9:08 am   #42
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

That's a good hint i am looking at the cards at the moment they all seem to be DMS type that i have looked into but something i didn't take into account was is the PCI PCIE thing i have to see if i can a slot they seem to be PCIE.
Old 5th Apr 2018, 9:16 am   #43
Keith
Heptode

Yes - you do need PC with a PCI-Express socket for the graphics card. I don't know of any AGP cards that are suitable for this purpose (others might, of course). I've now finally got the right Radeon card and it works absolutely fine (even though it comes up in Device Manager as HD2400 XT rather than PRO. Third time lucky, I guess ...
Old 6th Apr 2018, 12:59 pm   #44
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

OH no my luck my computer has only pci and a AGP slot !arrrrrrrrr...i have other computers about but i will have to by the looks of it search for another!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	160554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1045.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	160555  

Last edited by dalekmoore2007; 6th Apr 2018 at 1:09 pm.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 12:29 am   #45
peter_scott
Dekatron

HERE the graphics card is generating the video signal via a modulator that is feeding the aerial socket of a Sony 9-90. The Sony has next to no dc restoration hence that black bars to left and right of bright areas. The sweeping diagonal band is just an aliasing effect from the camera and is not visible when viewing the set directly.

Peter
Old 7th Apr 2018, 10:39 am   #46
Keith
Heptode

Hi again Peter,

That looks pretty good despite the DC restoration issue.

Incidentally (and apologies for going OT), I wonder where you got the video clip? It seems that downloading from Youtube is no longer allowed. I am trying to put together a DVD that I can show on my Bush TV22 for a local exhibition here. It would be great to include that broadcast.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 11:27 am   #47
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi Keith,

You don't need to download. Using VLC player you simply copy the address of the YouTube video you want to run on your 405 line (or 240 or 625 line) set into the VLC Network Streaming address line and hit return.

That one is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8XL0IfipLI&t=3s

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	youtube.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	160620  
Old 7th Apr 2018, 2:06 pm   #48
peter_scott
Dekatron

In the previous posting I mentioned 625 lines. Although my interest has been confined to 240 and 405 lines and the VGA to composite circuitry I suggested in my website is only B&W it would be relatively simple and cheap to buy a VGA to composite converter that would present a colour composite signal to your modulator.

Peter
Old 7th Apr 2018, 2:53 pm   #49
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Hi again Peter,

That looks pretty good despite the DC restoration issue.

Incidentally (and apologies for going OT), I wonder where you got the video clip? It seems that downloading from Youtube is no longer allowed. I am trying to put together a DVD that I can show on my Bush TV22 for a local exhibition here. It would be great to include that broadcast.
I prefer to download and store the clips locally.
If you Google "Youtube downloader" or "Youtube to MP4"
you will find several services that will download them.

Needless to say, watch out they don't encourage you to download anything else, for that reason I won't point you to a specific one.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 3:00 pm   #50
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
HERE the graphics card is generating the video signal via a modulator that is feeding the aerial socket of a Sony 9-90. The Sony has next to no dc restoration hence that black bars to left and right of bright areas. The sweeping diagonal band is just an aliasing effect from the camera and is not visible when viewing the set directly.

Peter
Peter, I think I saw that Sony in a fashion promotion "Art installation" in a department store in Manchester. It was amongst several little video monitors, all powered up, with no signals applied. Your Sony was in 625 mode displaying noise. I should have taken a picture.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 8:36 pm   #51
Keith
Heptode

Thanks both,

I not sure I'll have internet access for the event. However, I'm pleased to say I've been able to download quite a few vintage clips. Hopefully I haven't also aquired anything nasty along with them - I'll run a scan soon!
Old 12th May 2018, 11:15 pm   #52
Davewantsone
Hexode

I am wondering if anyone has got the modelines to work on a laptop to generate 405 lines 50 f/s. The problem I have is with a old HP NX9005 running Windows Xp it has a S video TV output. The modeline software works and says the graphic card is supported. Unfortunatly if I try to put the frame rate to 50Hz or anything other than 60Hz the the little window on the modelines goes from green to yellow and will not store the change. Are all laptops stuck to 60Hz?
Old 13th May 2018, 3:16 am   #53
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Hi Dave, I'm glad you are interested in generating 405 video this way.
I don't know about using the Y/C output, I didn't have any luck when I gave it a brief try using an ATI PCIe card.
Does the following modline show up as valid?

Modeline "664x377_25 10.1kHz 50.0Hz" 8.100 664 680 752 800 377 378 385 405 interlace -hsync -vsync

If so, does your laptop have a VGA socket that can be connected to a monitor and be configured to "extend" the screen of the laptop?

Butcher a VGA cable like the one in the diagram in the link below, to matrix the R,G, & B plus the H&V syncs into a composite monochrome waveform, and activate the modeline using the secondary display (Video 1:...) no other configuration should be necessary.
http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/240%20lines.htm
Old 13th May 2018, 9:18 am   #54
Davewantsone
Hexode

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that modeline and others for some reason anything other than 60Hz is not accepted. That is why I was wondering about laptops being stuck to 60Hz.
Old 15th May 2018, 8:19 am   #55
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Yes pretty much stuck on 60 Hz ...and what ever line rates your laptop video chip can do ...
http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/...php?f=8&t=2548...
I found a old desk top with a VGA to composite video out card and it does 50 Hz but stuck on 625 line 50 Hz this way too ...
Closed Thread