UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2008, 3:53 pm   #1
peter.sables
Rest in Peace

Default Headphones

hi...

I've a old pair of headphones complete with cord. Now here is the problem, the phones work well. Although the phone are working I'm worried about the cord. It has dried out and becoming brittle. Is there a way of restoring integrity...

Pete
Old 21st Jan 2008, 11:57 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Headphones

not that i know of. I have had a few 1970s philips devices with the cream mains lead which has gone all stiff and brittle... I'd just replace it. can't imagine it would be too hard to do on a pair of headphones, if you're a bit of a purist you may have to hunt about for some authentic looking cable though.
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 2:53 pm   #3
peter.sables
Rest in Peace

hi Ben.

yes I think thats what its going to be. Just had a thought though. I could use the cords from a old phone.

Ha project on..

ta. pete
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 10:58 am   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Pete,

I think your talking about the brown, braided type of flex? If so, you might be able to do something with the flex in this link http://www.geoffreyharris.co.uk/product/137

David
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 7:12 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

And Ben Dijkman sells something very similar to that in Dave's link
Old 24th Jan 2008, 9:40 am   #6
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

headphone cable is very fine though and plyable , not like cable intnded for the mains ,useually the fine wire seams mixed with cotten threads in my experience and there is less metal thread than expected .
Old 24th Jan 2008, 12:02 pm   #7
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I remember something like Chipp describes. It is much more flexible than mains lighting flex. Headphone flex seemed to me to be basically cotton core for the strand with very fine flat "wire" wound in a spiral round it. Several of these strands were twisted together to give a stranded wire in the normal way and the braided insulation went over the top of this.

I have a feeling that connections were not made by soldering but that very fine tinned copper wire was whipped round the strands and either formed into a loop for the earpiece connections or crimped into the plug connectors.
Old 24th Jan 2008, 12:06 pm   #8
Station X

Sound Systems
676 Foxhall Road
Ipswich
Suffolk
IP3 8NQ

used to have boxed NOS headphone cords for use with DLR and similar type headphones. These were 'Y' type cords with one leg of the 'Y' going to each earpice. It might be worth checking to see if they still have them. I'm afraid I don't have a phone number.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th Jan 2008, 12:12 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireful3 View Post
I remember something like Chipp describes...
It's called "tinsel wire" and was also used on telephone leads.
Closed Thread