UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2020, 9:46 am   #81
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Lockdown project - Sony TC-200

I got confused with the sequence of events because at Post 75 you got channel 2 working (by swapping over wiper connections) but then at Post 77 you said " keeping it playing while testing this has killed the Channel 1 pre amp".

So was killing channel 1 referring to what occurred before or post getting channel 2 working, also the final fix of the capacitor was on the output valve not the pre-amp ?

Just trying to understand it better. You must be very satisfied with fixing it.
Old 8th May 2020, 2:04 pm   #82
Paulus.d
Hexode

Yeah ... sorry , I was rushing trying to keep up with posts and other stuff so I got my wires crossed so to speak ....I didn't kill channel 1 , it took a long time to come back to playing after fading away while I had channel 2 playing ..
I did notice Chanel one being a little more noisy than 1, but I'll face that when the new transformer comes in ..A member on here is building me a new one .....

Yes I'm very pleased with it... the sound is a lttle toppy for my ears and the tone control don't do much but happy ....
Regards Paul
Old 29th May 2020, 3:28 pm   #83
Paulus.d
Hexode

Time for an update on my progress with this machine....
The output transformer came in from a very helpful member on here, Ed Dinning and after a minor hickup was working on both channels... so I was prepared to bung it back together when I noticed the output switch not working, again on channel 2. It did not respond to switch cleaner, in fact it made it worse, so I took the switch apart and cleaned it. Put back together, it played for 2 hours then channel 2 faded away like channel one did at the begining of this thread, so I changed the same cap on channel 2's transistor stage and fitted two AC 127's.

Its now working , it still has a strange issue, channel 1 is nice sounding, channel 2 is harsh, very top heavy, almost painful to my ears... I checked the frequency correction from the contacts to the PCB , there okay....
This part isn't logical to me as the speed switch s102 and s202 contacts seem to work in reverse to my understanding? the 470pf caps are switched out at 7 1/2 ips?
Regards Paul
Old 29th May 2020, 5:02 pm   #84
ms660
Dekatron

In the schematic the speed switch position looks to be correct, more -ve feedback on the high speed setting than on the low speed setting.

Lawrence.
Old 29th May 2020, 5:12 pm   #85
Paulus.d
Hexode

okay.... so I've got to figure out which channels at fault...either one is too high and stuck on or the other is low and won't kick in lol = paul
Old 29th May 2020, 6:54 pm   #86
Paulus.d
Hexode

Would this circuit be active during playback or record?
Old 29th May 2020, 7:03 pm   #87
ms660
Dekatron

If you mean the EQ circuit then yes both on record (in effect high frequency Boost) and playback (in effect high frequency cut)

Lawrence.
Old 29th May 2020, 8:01 pm   #88
Paulus.d
Hexode

Right just played with it..... Channel onebehaves as it shoud ..there's a noticable change during record as the switch is made and broken. Channel 2 sounds hollow and empty on playback...it's switch makes no difference to the reording... the switch itself meters okay ..... i'll start with those pesky 470pf caps...
Paul
Old 30th May 2020, 5:04 pm   #89
Paulus.d
Hexode

Right ...I'm putting this one back away... another one to mark up as 'don't buy stuff from Ebay' Channel 1 now doesn't record but does playback..
I may come back to later ..but I'm wasting my and everyone else's time here

Regards Paul
Closed Thread