UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2020, 10:37 am   #1
Western 91
Diode

Default Quad 50E.

Hi all. I have rebuilt a pair of Quad 50e amplifiers they work great and no noise on either of them. I boxed the amplifiers up sent them to my friend. Now that he has received them he says there is a buzz on both amplifiers even without a load on them. I would be grateful if a member could help me with any tips to give him. I cannot go see my mate due to being too far from me. I look forward to any replies and thank you in advance.

Regards, Western 91.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 12:27 pm   #2
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Quad 50E.

When you say there's no load, do you mean no speaker attached ? If so then the buzz has to be coming from something electromechanical (mains transformers often buzz like this). I'd be a bit surprised if both had developed this fault in transit. Is it possible his mains is 'different' from yours in some way, perhaps with DC on it as discussed here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=121181 ?

Cheers,

GJ
Old 4th Jun 2020, 12:30 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I wonder if one, or more, of the 35+ year old Boards has fractured in transit?
Old 4th Jun 2020, 2:05 pm   #4

Is there anything connected to the input? An open circuit input will pick up anything.

Old 4th Jun 2020, 2:57 pm   #5
barrymagrec
Octode

Are they fitted with the input transformers and if so are they close to a powerful mains field?
Old 4th Jun 2020, 3:43 pm   #6
snowman_al
Octode

They all have output transformers, some have input transformers, but not all.
E/I transformers are far less prone to buzzing from DC on the mains than toroidals.
Do you mean there is a mechanical buzz from the amp or a buzz through the speakers?