UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2020, 7:28 pm   #1
Serthish
Triode

Default Goodmans Crossover Network Half Section - how to test?

Evening all,

Digging through my pile of stuff, I've found another goody that seems too good to discard - a Goodmans Crossover Network (Half Section) Type XO-950/5000
950 and 500 cycles 15 ohms.

Question is, can I test these just with a multimeter as I don't currently have the setup required to test them with speakers?

Thanks in advance
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 8:37 am   #2
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Goodmans Crossover Network Half Section - how to test?

"Question is, can I test these just with a multimeter" Apart from continuity, no, you need a a signal generator and scope at the least, you need to do a frequency sweep and measure or just visual the OP. If you haven't got these you could use free software and use your PC, recommended is Soundcard Scope, has sig gen, scope, FFT & THD measurement, which is as good as my HP3903B. Also you could use Audacity, REW, ARTA and there's quite a few others. SC S is easy to use unlike REW and ARTA which takes some setting up and are very picky with what AI you use.

Andy.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 2:00 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Goodmans Crossover Network Half Section - how to test?

You can safely assume that inductors are OK if they're not open circuit. Resistors you can check with multimeter though depending on the circuit you may have to lift one end. Capacitors ditto but you'll need an ESR/capacitance meter.

Its not a complex circuit so if the components are OK individually it will almost certainly work as intended.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread