UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2020, 9:08 pm   #1
musicman334578
Triode

Default Virgin Wifi extender, interference with record deck.

Hi all.
I have a Virgin Media wifi extender.

I noticed that when using PHONO on the AMP to play records on a magnetic cartridge, it picks up all the wonderful noises from the Wifi extender.

If I turn OFF the extender, I get total silence on the PHONO output. Switch it on and I get all the computer noises.

Any ideas how I can compress these signals so I can get my original silence on the PHONO line?

NB: If I use any other functions CD/TUNER etc, these are not affected at all.

Thank you
Gary.
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 9:22 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Virgin Wifi extender, interference with record deck.

Try a different wall wart PSU with the range extender.

Some RIAA preamps make very efficient radios. The pickup arm wiring acts as an aerial and the mag cartridge provides inductance. The signals get rectified somewhere and emerge as audible interference. My record deck and NAD 3030 amp used to pull in Radio Moscow very well in the 80s.
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 10:29 pm   #3
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Most if not all WiFi extenders have built in psus, the whole thing plugs into the wall socket.

100pF caps on the input of the phono preamp may help.

Peter
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 10:39 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

I've had this before, the set up used the mains to carry wifi signals so you couldn't use a different wall wart.

Paul may be right regarding the pick up arm acting as an aerial, but what would happen if a capacitor were to be fitted across the input to limit the upper frequency response?

Crossed posts with Peter's post

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/

Last edited by Michael Maurice; 2nd Jun 2020 at 10:41 pm. Reason: crossed posts
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 11:01 pm   #5
paulsherwin

The cartridge is inductive, so adding capacitance just changes the resonant frequency. You have to get rid of the HF in the preamp.

It could be that the range extender is just electrically noisy. Do you actually need it? The access point in the main router will normally cover an average sized house. If you really need it, moving it somewhere else away from the record deck may help.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 7:42 am   #6
musicman334578
Triode

Hmmm sounds like this is one of those things you get for having extenders on the mains circuit.

I will resort to just switching the extender off, which solves the problem!!

Thank you all very much for your input as it was driving me crazy!

Best wishes
Gary
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 8:08 am   #7
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Instead of a mains transmitted WiFi extender have you tried a repeater, this takes the WiFi signal and retransmits on a different channel. My setup works well but of course every situation is different.
Audio amplifiers acting as radio receivers was quite common at one time.

Of course switching the the item off is as good as any other solution.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 8:28 am   #8
PsychMan
Octode

Worth checking all your turntable earth connections are good. I had this a few weeks back.

My Cambridge Audio MM pre-amp picked up nice loud, yet distorted output from my nearby pantry transmitter. With the pantry transmitter off the issue was a lot less obvious.

I traced the issue down to a less than perfect connection to the spade terminal of the turntable earth. Making this good silenced it completely.

PS: If its a powerline ethernet device, then as suggested use a wifi repeater instead. In addition to them ruining many forms of radio reception they are not very reliable at all in my experience. I used some temporarily while I moved into a new property, of 5 bought 3 were dead after a few months. My mother uses them in her house (different brand) and Ive had to replace one of those too..
Closed Thread