UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2020, 11:14 am   #21
Ray_Singh
Pentode

Default Re: Arcam Alpha One - CD Player problem

Another new belt arrived and fitted, the tray goes in/out about 90% of the way and then just stops.

I dont want to give up on his. Can anyone offer any guidance please?

It must be a microswitch - i have checked these or the fact that i have interfered with the timing of the gears.

Happy to pay for repair now.
Old 11th Jun 2020, 3:00 pm   #22
vidjoman
Dekatron

Did you remove the tray when you fitted the belt? If so then it's quite possible the tray-gear position is out. It's easy to get it wrong by one tooth and it'll stop the correct function. I used to remove the tray completely and then set the gear by hand to put the lift/lower spiral part to the lowest setting - then carefully insert the tray making sure both sides mesh exactly. A gentle push and you should be able to get the tray fully in and see the lifter start to lift the mech.
Old 11th Jun 2020, 9:18 pm   #23
Ray_Singh
Pentode

I will try this tomorrow Vidjoman.
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 3:45 pm   #24
Ray_Singh
Pentode

Update- I managed to get the old belt back on and give this a try and the mechanism just doesnt work. It doesnt move up when the cd drawer closes.

My father has taken a look too, no idea either.

Any suggestions please!!
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 5:43 pm   #25
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

It's worth removing the belt and moving the gear by hand. You should then be able to see whether it's able to do it or whether the deck is jamming. As said earlier, you need to make sure the tray is aligned correctly. If it arrives too early, the deck will try to jump up before it should and jam.
If it moves freely and the deck jumps up as it's supposed to, then put the belt back and power the motor from a power supply - an old phone charger is ideal. That way you can determine if it's mechanical or electronic due to a limit switch malfunction.
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 9:07 pm   #26
samjmann
Heptode

You have done the right thing by taking a step back by fitting the original belt. By carefully moving the load motor you should be able to see where the jam occurs. I'd say the mech is slightly out of sequence after you have swapped the belt. These little mech systems all work by activating the end/start switches JUST before mechanical stop. In other words the mech should hit the end or start switch just before the mechanical stop point. If not the system control will do all sorts of odd things.... SJM
Old 29th Jun 2020, 3:12 pm   #27
Ray_Singh
Pentode

Thank you all. I delivered the CD player to my Dad (sorry for lumbering you with this Dad) to repair. When i give up, he picks up the pieces and normally fixes things.

He has managed to get the player working, but has asked if anyone on here can help with what controls the two microswitches which control the mechanism. Are we missing something on our mechanism?

Any help much apprecaited.
Closed Thread