UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2022, 7:08 pm   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default JVC HR-7350ek?

Hello I would like to bother you with some questions, if I may. This machine has not been used for a long time by the look of it, so far I have replaced all the belts, cleaned and Rubber Renued all the tyres.
I am using some prerecorded tapes of some 25 years of age. But they are all I have. Allowing for the age of the tapes I dont think they are bad and play ok in other machines.
The video heads have something I have never seen before, from the heads there is a clear black 'tail' the thickness of the head and tapering to a point, they are just under 1/4" long. I have tried gently with alcohol but made no difference.
The colour tends to vary, as if the contrast is turned down and then back up, it does not lose the colour completely.
The rewind is a bit slow but I have it may have been the one particular tape, I will check later.
The tracking control can be wound from one end to the other and the picture remains rock solid.
One last query please, the clock display is very dim, what are the chances of doing anything with it?
I have not touched any adjustments ( pots etc. ) because I dont know what I am doing.
Thank you very much for any help you may be able to give.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Just thought of some thing, what are the chances of a new head drum??
Old 11th Jun 2022, 7:38 pm   #2
gallowfields
Hexode

Default Re: JVC HR-7350ek?

the clear black you mention sounds as though it is just oxide deposit from a previous tape . usually this can be cleaned off with isopropyl .regarding the dim display seem to remember that was due to caps on the display pcb .
Old 11th Jun 2022, 8:58 pm   #3
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

The VFDs on these machines tend to go dim due to age. I've heard you can rejuvenate them by applying higher voltage to the filaments for a few seconds but I haven't tried it yet. Typically the filament heater voltage for a display like this would be around 3 volts AC.

Fivos
Old 12th Jun 2022, 3:39 pm   #4
Geoff 555
Heptode

Thank you all for your information, most usefull. I have found a number of head discs but they go by numbers and not by machine model, may I ask for the part number please?
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 12th Jun 2022, 6:02 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Slow wind can be lower head drum needing polishing.
Old 13th Jun 2022, 10:08 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

Hamish, these decks unlace during fast wind so that's not going to affect 'em.

To the OP: the 'tail' on the heads is just tape debris, you may have to 'scrub' a little with a piece of chamois or even a Q tip and alcohol, provided you keep away form the head tips.

The cycling colour sounds like macrovision interference, how have you got this machine connected to the monitor?

Re: slow winding. I vaguely recall this happens if you don't refit the idler arm correctly after changing the rubber. I 'm sure somoene with a better memory will confirm.You may also need a drop of oil on the shafts of the spool tables.
Old 13th Jun 2022, 8:12 pm   #7
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Geoff

The part number for the HR-7200/7300/7350 upper drum is PU31332J.

Regards

Fivos
Old 14th Jun 2022, 6:40 pm   #8
Geoff 555
Heptode

Super Fivos the hunt begins.
Many thanks.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Closed Thread