UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2022, 10:15 pm   #21
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Looking for info on this test phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
They are called butt phones, presumably because they hang from the linesmans tool belt and are a pain in the butt ()
I was always led to believe that it was called a "Butinski" after the inventor. But that could one of the old GPO comical myths.
Old 22nd May 2022, 2:35 pm   #22
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Greetings all.

Be careful as this sort of thing can be addictive!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010105.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	257636

Cheers, Robert.
Old 23rd May 2022, 9:22 am   #23
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
It may only have been produced there, but it should work elsewhere, though dialling numbers containing digits other than 5 and 0 would require some recalculation unless a non-NZ dial were substituted - or something like a suitably-configured Dialgizmo were interposed between the 'phone and the line.
Could be of GEC manufacture as they had a factory in NZ manufacturing phones of the UK 700 type - I have a few such as a green UK 710 one made in NZ.

Will also work with the Grandstream HT8XX range of Analogue Terminal Adapters provided the ATA's firmware has been upgraded within the last couple of years. Grandstream were very co-operative when I made a number of suggestions for upgrading their currently manufactured range of ATAs - one of which was the NZ upgrade to use NZ 'rotary' dialling telephones. Ideal for using with NZ numbers on CNet - the Collectors Network.
My 'NZ test handset' which came from NZ but was manufactured in Japan.
Ian
CNet UK Mold (0352) 2979
CNet NZ Otaua (085 32) 810
Closed Thread