UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2012, 9:46 pm   #1
Richlive
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony TC 377 rustling/ crackling problem- clip to illustrate!

All
I have noticed a background noise on the reels lately which I suspect should not be there. It is present even on leader tape. Any suggestions?

I have uploaded a couple of brief clips to illustrate what I mean:

http://soundcloud.com/bemyguest/sets...illustrate-the

Many thanks,
Richard.

PS- Thanks to others who replied to my other thread about playback. That seemed to rectify itself!
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 2:04 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony TC 377 rustling/ crackling problem- clip to illustrate!

could be poor joints where the head cables join the main board, give a shot of switch cleaner to track selector switching and main rec-pb internal mode switches. I've also had bad capacitors cause this.
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 9:55 am   #3
ricard
Octode

Any type of bad connection could cause this. I've had a TC-399 with a very alluring fault of similar type which boiled down to a trim potentiometer where one of the connectors wasn't properly making contact with the carbon track. Took quite a while to narrow it down. Problem is, when you go poking around the insides of the machine the prodding and justling can be enough to make the problem go away temporarily.
Old 13th Feb 2012, 8:45 pm   #4
Richlive
Retired Dormant Member

ricard and ben (particularly) - what I did was this; I bought another deck, hoping that would be OK. However, that deck was very dirty. I am using it as a "guinea-pig".

I have taken the back off.

Anything I should know?

Thanks,
Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony TC 377.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	62520  
Old 16th Feb 2012, 3:29 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

Until you've done the cleaning and checking recommended above, it is pointless opening up another unit. I'd concentrate on one at a time.
Closed Thread