UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2017, 12:07 pm   #1
clansman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bolex SP80 Special Projector.

Hi all, I've just purchased this machine with manual it works perfectly but the manual doesn't say special. I've looked on line and it seems it can play standard 8mm films as well. Anyone any idea how? Do I have to put standard 8mm films onto super 8 reels?

Thanks for any help, Ian.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 5:13 pm   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bolex SP80 Special Projector.

I don't know this model, but apparently it does super and single 8, but not standard 8.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 6:38 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

All the dual gauge 8mm projectors I have come across have had a removable adapter on at least the feed spool spindle (rarely on the takeup spool spindle as well) for showing Standard 8 films. They should just pull off. AFAIR the only difference between Single 8 and Super 8 is that Single 8 used a different type of camera film cassette and film base. Single 8 film is thinner and made of a very strong plastic (Mylar?) that can not be spliced using film cement, necessitating the use of tape splices. As far as projectors are concerned, they are identical.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 8:30 am   #4
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

With regards to the reels...

Standard 8 reel centres are the same diameter as domestic quarter inch audio tape reel centres.

Super 8/Single 8 are larger.. if the projector is dual standard then the spindles will have removable adapters fitted to the standard 8 size spindles.

So if your presented with a reel and not sure what it's for, then look at the reel centres.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 9:03 am   #5
wd40addict
Octode

Under the skin it's a Eumig 800 series. If it was dual guage there would be an adaptor on the feed spool and a set of alternative gates and sprockets stored inside the front cover.

Most users understand 'dual gauge' to be standard and super 8, but that didn't stop later super only machines being described as 'dual gauge' because they could also show the dimensionally identical Fuji single 8.

It's a bit like Coleman who describe their lamps as 'dual fuel' when the 2 fuels are in fact Colman fuel (petrol) and petrol! Not as one might casually assume petrol and paraffin.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 12:09 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

Not all dual gauge projectors require gate and sprocket changing. With my Eumig Mark 602D you only have to slide a lever between two positions to change gauge, and fit or remove the feed spool adapter appropriately.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 12:30 pm   #7
wd40addict
Octode

True, but to the best of my knowledge the 800 series uses alternative gates and sprockets. Certainly my 824D and 810D (D for dual) do.

The 800 series was the last dual gauge sound machines Eumig produced.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 3:37 pm   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

Nice! I never had one myself, but a friend inherited one from his late father, along with masses of films. I had to show him how to operate it and how to swap all the bits to change gauge. Of course, sprocket feed is essential in a sound projector the get rid of the intermittent feed, but a good silent projector can manage without.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 6:35 pm   #9
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

My understanding is that sprocket feed is always superior, because, no matter what other factors exist, the proportion of time the film is static within the gate is larger, so the shutter can remain open longer and the overall light output is therefore greater.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 8:11 pm   #10
clansman
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for replies, I think I've got the gist of it now. Thanks again all.

By the way, you can't change the sprockets on this, so as I understand it I can use super8/single 8 films. I've managed to get a super 8 film, and it works great. Haven't tried one with sound yet.

Ian
Closed Thread