UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2012, 12:00 am   #1
david winter
Hexode

Default Maxell PC27 1/2" digital audio tape: any infos ?

Hi,

I just got three of these large, heavy and well packed Maxell tapes for digital audio (pcm). They are referenced PC27-1/2-14DA. Half inch, 2920m, as large as 14 inches, and lasting one hour which supposes a tape speed of around 81cm/s.

I can't find any information about these tapes on the web. How long were these produced ? Any known problems (as they date 1996 or so) ?

I also got a Sony Digital Master Tape D-1/2-1460 just in case you know about it.

Thanks,

David
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 3:03 pm   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Maxell PC27 1/2" digital audio tape: any infos ?

I would have thought that the Sony tape was almost certainly for one of their DASH (Digital Audio Stationary Head) machines like the PCM3324. I'm not sure whether Maxell made DASH tapes but the other possibility would be that it is for Mitsubishi's Pro-Digi format. Are they blank or used? If they are used then it is possible that the recordings on them are more valuable than the tapes themselves.

I heard of someone wanting to get rid of one of the Mitsubishi machines a few years ago who ended up giving it away.

James.
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 9:10 pm   #3
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Maxell PC27 1/2" digital audio tape: any infos ?

Those Mitsubishi machines go for ALOT here!
I agree with James on the tapes possibly having valuable recordings on them, Micheal jackson apparently owned 2 Mitsubishi machines.

-Chris
Closed Thread