UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2013, 10:41 am   #1
Granny'sfridge
Retired Dormant Member

Cool GEC Fridge not working.

Hi I have a GEC fridge that I inherited from my Grandmother. We love it dearly but over the weekend it has died; light is off, not cold at all although the motor is making some noise suggesting life. My husband is up for some basic DIY if anyone has any suggestions, otherwise does anyone know of someone who can fix it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge 1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	76704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge 3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	76705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge 4.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	76706  
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:27 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: GEC Fridge not working.

Given that the light (I assume you mean the internal illumination light) doesn't work and the fridge doesn't get cold this would point to a problem with the mains supply, possibly a blown fuse in the mains plug. Unfortunately this doesn't fit in with the motor making some noise.

It's probably worth checking the internal light (it may be blown), door switch (try operating it many times) and the thermostat which will be connected to the temperature selection knob.

If the motor drives the compressor by means of a belt this may be slipping or even broken. However in most domestic fridges the motor and compressorr are a single unit.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:49 pm   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I would agree with Graham. Check the motor and see if its getting hot, if it is but not running there should be a starting relay on the motor, this may have failed, later ones use a thermistor but I doubt that yours does, the motor itself may have failed but its unusual.

Peter
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:50 pm   #4
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Could be the thermostat. I'm not familiar with that particular fridge but thermostat would be my first port of call. Are you sure the motor is running correctly? Pull the fridge away from the wall so that you can position yourself near the motor, then get some one to turn the fridge on whilst you are listening. You just might hear a click from the relay when it starts up ( a black box with usually 3 connections). That indicates the the motor is running on the run winding. Is the motor/ compressor warm or hot? The relay is easy to change, it's usually just a push on fit to the motor ,it needs a strong pull off. The motor has 3 spike type terminals upon which the relays sits.

The thermostat can some times be embedded within the cabinet insulation and can be difficult to withdraw and hence difficult to replace. There some good books in libraries.

Best of luck,Ted
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:53 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Does your husband have a multimeter?
Old 27th Feb 2013, 8:50 am   #6
Granny'sfridge
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks guys - really useful advice. The fridge is working once more. I think it was the thermostat.
Closed Thread