UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2013, 8:30 am   #1
Sean4star
Retired Dormant Member

Default Nixie tube calculator repair

I recently purchased a SCM Marchant I portable 8-digit nixie tube calculator. The two leftmost nixie tubes appear not to light up, but if you are in a dark room you can see that they are just barely glowing. The other thing is as you enter numbers the two leftmost digits both change to be the same number as the rightmost digit (the number that you just entered). Another potential clue is that once you fill up the 6 working digits, if you try to add any more numbers (numbers that should go to the last 7th and 8th tubes) the numbers start doubling up in the working tubes.

Any thought on what could be causing this? An IC or a transistor problem?
Old 7th Feb 2013, 12:07 pm   #2
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Default Re: Nixie tube calculator repair

My Gould frequency counter has nixie tubes. I had a problem about 20 years ago with one or more digits, but forget the exact symptoms.
It was a faulty driver IC. DM8880 or something like that. At the time, I had loads of new Grundig TV panels, and did wonder about replacing the nixies with LEDs and the driver chips for them, but never proceeded. I still have a few new nixies (ZM1000 or something like that) which were a direct replacement for that specified by Grundig for the 6010, 6011 etc. TVs.
Les.
Old 9th Feb 2013, 10:56 pm   #3
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Looks to be like it is a multiplexed display, and the digit drive / decode circuit has a problem.
Old 9th Feb 2013, 11:46 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

A similar fault was discussed on this forum and IIRC tapping moved some loose metal / rust shorting the valve I think.
John.
Closed Thread